LISTENING AS JANE COMPLAINED ABOUT HER NOSE, Arietta never understood Jane's addiction with being perfect

LISTENING AS JANE COMPLAINED ABOUT HER NOSE, Arietta never understood Jane's addiction with being perfect. She was a very pretty girl, in Arietta's opinion, and had a great personality, yet she never thought she was good enough. Arietta never had the heart to tell her that the real problem was her won insecurities and not her hair or her nose.

But as Arietta lay on her back next to Mal, she could not even feign concern, too wrapped up in her won emotions. Ever since yesterday, Arietta had been too distracted to be bothered with anything other than Carlos.

She was in a state of shock after he had stolen her first kiss. She didn't know what to do or say, so instead she freaked out and before she could control herself, turned into water.

It was a defense mechanism that mermaids used to use in ancient times to escape when they were on land. At the time, humans weren't as welcoming to merfolk. Arietta had only done it a few times before when she was younger and got scared but, it was a horrible feeling.

The worst part was that when you do wake up, you are in the ocean — making Arietta only feel even more frightened.

She felt so guilty afterward that she couldn't even try to go to Carlos later that day and explain herself. She was beyond embarrassed.

"Mom said, "If a boy can't see the beauty within," then he's not worth it." Can you believe it?" Jane exclaimed for what felt like the eleventh time, "What world does she live in?"

"Auradon," Arietta miserably said, cursing her tail. Mal sent Ariella a smirk, for her witty reply. She was liking the mermaid more and more every day.

"Mal, Ari, do you like?" Evie called out, raising the leather dress up to her shoulders so they could see the dress on the bluette.

"Yeah. It's cute," Arietta smiled at the stylish dress.

"It brings out your eyes," Mal boredly added, knowing what Evie likes to hear.

Evie giggled, looking at her work, "I know."

Arietta decided that she had already spent too much time wallowing in her self-pity. Flipping her body over so she was laying on her stomach. She began including herself in the conversation.

"I'll never get a boyfriend," Jane cried, plopping herself down on the other bed.

"Boyfriends are overrated," Mal looked up from her journal.

Evie smirked at Mal, "And how would you know Mal? You've never had one."

"It's 'cause I don't need one, E," Mal gave her friend an annoyed look, before turning back to her sketchbook, "They're a waste of time."

Evie jumped up from her seat, running to the desk, "I forgot to do Chad's homework! Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no," she began pulling out the books and pencils.