Chapter 32. Manipulative witch

Start from the beginning

"Come on, Ved. Don't be ridiculous. It's a serious matter here."

"He is my friend, not yours. I will handle the situation, so you can just fuck off."

"He is my friend too."

"He is not."

"I am not backing down just because of your empty threats. FYI, he considers me his friend too. I don't need your opinion about it."

"He doesn't."

"He does."

"You will know soon."

I narrowed my eyes at him and he smiled at me smugly. There was no use arguing with him. I was only wasting my time. Oh no! The surprise test! I forgot about it completely. I dashed towards the classroom while Ved followed, walking like a king.

Mehta sir let me in after scolding me and I went to my seat. Ved arrived soon after, but he didn't get any scolding. Instead he got praised for the win against our neighbouring college in the basketball match. So unfair. I glanced at Nikhil and he averted his gaze. Ved could say whatever he wanted but I was not letting Nikhil drift away from me so easily.

×~×

"Nikhil, wait. I have to ask you something."

"Not again, Sandhya," he said and tried to get away.

"It's important."

"What is it?" He stopped and I smiled.

Ved was not here to disturb us, so I could use this chance to talk to him properly.

"I wanted to know how much you have studied so far," I said.

"How many times you gonna ask that dude? I am tired of it."

"Come on. Atleast tell me how you did on the test."

"It was okay."

"Okay? Are you serious? Okay isn't good, Nikhil. Remember what aunty says? You have to be the best. Anything else doesn't matter."

Nikhil inhaled deeply and took out a cigarette from his back pocket. Before he lit it up, I snatched it from his hand and threw it away.

"It's not good for your health," I reprimanded him.

"Stop being so bossy, yaar."

"I am just looking after you."

"Looking after, my foot." He stormed off and I just stared at his back. What was wrong with him?

All day, I kept thinking about how to get Nikhil to talk with me without us getting into an argument. I didn't remember doing anything wrong to him. What was the issue then? Surbhi told me to give him some space but there was no time for that. At lunch, I saw him smoking with some boys and when I went to talk to him, he ignored me. Why was he so angry at me?

After the last lecture, I packed up to leave for home. All the club activities were put on hold because of some heated argument between the managers of some clubs. They were demanding an increase in the money alloted to them for their activities. Whatever. I was glad for the little break I got from it.

Also, my contract with Rajeev's gym was coming to an end this week. More time on hand then. I decided to renew it after my exams got over. It would be better to keep the stress low.

I sighed when I spotted Nikhil getting out of the parking lot on his bike. I missed riding it. I walked towards him and stood in front, blocking his way. He motioned with his hand to move away but I didn't budge.

"What do you want?" he asked in frustration.

"Why are you angry at me?" I asked.

"I am not."

"Then why are you behaving like this?"

"Behaving like what?"

"You already know. I just want you to talk with me if anything is troubling you. Resorting to alcohol and drugs isn't a solution, Nikhil. Let me help."

"You don't know anything."

"I won't if you won't tell me. Come on man. Don't you consider me your friend?"

"Stop bothering him," Ved warned as he came and parked his bike beside Nikhil's.

I gave him a dead look and waved him off. I wasn't going to get intimidated by him. He was all bark and no bite. He only wanted to scare me with all his big talk.

"Nikhil, would you please just think clearly about what you are doing?" I pleaded.

"I am not a kid," Nikhil retorted.

"Move aside before I say something that will hurt you," he added.

"I will have to tell your parents if you won't listen to me," I said.

"Are you blackmailing me?"

"You can think like that if you want." I shrugged my shoulders.

"See, Nikhil? This is what I was telling you about. I warned you to be careful but you didn't listen. She forces her demands on others under the pretense of friendship. And when you don't listen to her, she looses her shit. Can't you see? She is trying to control you," Ved said to him.

Nikhil gave me a pointed look and I furrowed my eyebrows. Just what the heck was Ved saying? I wasn't controlling him. Why would I?

"He is manipulating you, Nikhil. Don't listen to him," I tried to reason.

"The one who is a manipulative witch is you, Sandhya Rai," Ved bit back.

"You idiot! You should be helping him instead of-"

"Shut up! Don't say a word against him, Sandhya. Don't forget, he is my best friend," Nikhil said sharply.

I took a deep breath and looked at him sadly. He put on his helmet and I moved out of his way. With Ved being an obstacle, I wouldn't be able to talk to Nikhil without interruptions. He bid goodbye to Ved and drove off. He didn't say anything to me. I wanted to kick him so much.

Even if he was mad at me-I don't know for what-he could have atleast said bye to me. I just wished he was going home instead of hanging out with wrong company. I turned towards Ved who was grinning at me. I wanted to bash his pretty face so badly that he wouldn't be able to recognise his own face.

He moved his bike forward and I flinched. He jerked the vehicle again and the tyre hit me on the knee. Ouch! This bastard was going to hell for this. I rubbed my leg and scowled at him. He showed no remorse. As he moved past me, I hit him on his shoulder. It had no effect. Damn his strong built. He flipped me the bird and zoomed out of the parking lot.

I cursed him as I reached the bus stop and even invented some of curse words, as I boarded the bus. It was all because of him. He must have told Nikhil something bad about me. There was no way Nikhil would talk to me like that. I wasn't his enemy. Why won't he share his problems with me? Was I that overbearing? No, right?

As I was mulling over all the possibilities, my phone buzzed. Mom was calling. I picked up the call and she told me that we were having dinner at Nikhil's house today. That was not surprising. We would dine at each other's place like ten to twelve times in a month. They were like relatives to us now.

Mom wanted me to pick up her order from the tailor on my way. I ended the call after assuring her that I wouldn't forget. My stop came and I got down from the bus. I got mom's order and an evil smile spread across my face as I walked towards my home.

Nikhil was avoiding me in the college but what would he do when we arrived at his place tonight? Wait, Nikhil. I am going to make you answer my every question. You wouldn't be able to run away then, would you?