Chapter 25: Birthday Break

"Wow. You could never guess what happened here," Evie said quietly.

"Yeah," Kin replied as he looked around. The square looked just as it had on the day they met. He chuckled quietly but Evie noticed.

"What are you laughing at?"

"This place looks exactly like it did on the day we met, but you could never guess how it's changed. And no one could ever guess how you've changed either."

"What are you on about?"

Kin laughed. "Soul would believe that when I met Evie she was nervous furball. She hid behind me as we walked through the square. She wouldn't go anywhere without me. It was pitiful then but now it's hilarious."

Soul looked at Kin in disbelief. "Not Evie?"

Evie growled at Kin and Soul exploded in fits of laughter.

Evie rolled her eyes. "Yes, I was a little shy, but Kin, where would you be without me?"

"Probably living like a king somewhere."

"Ugh." Evie rolled her eyes again and began walking away.

Laughing, Kin ran after her. "I'm sorry for teasing, you're just too easy. But, as usual you're right. Without you, I would still be... whatever it is that I was."

"Aw, you guys make each other better, that's so sweet!" Soul said.

Soul wrapped an arm around Evie's neck and stopped her walking; then turned so they were both facing Kin. Soul held her free hand under Evie's chin like she was trying to present her to him.

"Kin, look at her. She's cute, smart, funny. What are you waiting for? Ask her out already!"

Kin blushed but didn't say anything. Seeing his obvious embarrassment Evie decided it was time she got revenge for all his teasing. She hid a sly smile behind a look of sweet innocence.

"Yeah Kin, what are you doing? I'm not going to wait forever you know. Hurry up already!"

Kin's heart leapt into his throat. He tried to speak but his mouth opened and closed soundlessly. Evie laughed and shook her head. She slipped out from Soul's grip and began walking towards Audino's house.

Soul watched her go before turning to Kin. "What was that? She wants you!"

"Ah! Shut up!" Kin shouted as he waved his fist at Soul. She merely giggled and ran after Evie. Kin watched them go: Evie really did look good walking beneath the setting sun. He sighed inwardly and followed hopelessly.

******

"Psst! Kin! Evie! Wake up!"

Neither Kin nor Evie stirred in their deep slumber.

"You guys are no fun. Wake up, wake up, wake up," Soul chanted quietly as she shook them.

They didn't wake up.

"Ugh, you get up at midnight for someone else's birthday and they don't appreciate it enough to even wake up. Figures."

Soul shook her head disapprovingly at the Riolu and Eevee huddled beside each other in the bed. Hm, surely they would appreciate a small present... Soul smiled as she gently moved them. Soon, Evie's head was buried in Kin's chest and his arms were wrapped tightly around her. Soul fell backwards in a silent fit of laughter. They looked so comical, and so sweet. It left a pang in Soul's heart: She missed having someone to love.

Soul shook her head to clear it of those thoughts and decided that it was well and truly time to wake them up, but how? Soul snapped her fingers as she got an idea. Leaning close to Kin's head she whispered in his ear, "Kin, Evie needs you."