Chapter 10: Ashes

Mewtwo never came. Kin waited all night, he had comforted Evie and had kept singing, and now the sun rose on his weary body and shone on his tired eyes. Evie woke slowly and looked at her friend, at first she was confused, but then she remembered everything that had happened.

"Kin... Were you up all night?" She asked quietly.

Kin shrugged. "I was worried." He replied. His voice was quiet and hoarse, it was almost gone.

"Kin, what happened to your voice?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Kin, have you been crying?"

"Yes."

"Kin, have you eaten or drunk anything?"

"Not important."

"Not important?"

"Right. What's important is that you're okay."

"Oh, Kin." Evie buried her face into the Riolu's chest. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I did this to you."

"Hey, hey come on now, look at me." With a paw Kin raised her head until she was looking into his eyes. "It was my pleasure."

Evie laughed quietly, and her body shook with a sob, "You're so stupid. Thank-you Kin."

They smiled at each other for a long time, a blush spread across Evie's face, and she leapt from Kin's lap. "Well, you must be hungry, let's get some breakfast, shall we?" Evie asked trying to hide her embarrassment. Kin nodded his agreement and they walked from the tent.

After breakfast they packed up their tents and collected their belongings.

"Alright, we're about to leave, everyone thank Scizor and Gardevoir." Stoutland instructed.

A chorus of thanks came from five of the six students. Levi smiled smugly, like he was above gratitude.

"Gardevoir, Scizor, thank-you both very much for this weekend. We all had a lot of fun. I hope to see you again soon, my old friends." Stoutland said to them.

"It was my pleasure, I wish you all the best!" Gardevoir said.

"Good luck everyone! I expect big things from you all!" Scizor told the class, he gave Evie a small wink at the last line, she winked back.

"Everyone! Let's go home." Stoutland announced, his class responded with a roar of cheers, the principal thanked his friends once more and then left for Tranquil Town, but when they got there...

******

There it was, a hill in front of them, just beyond it lay Tranquil Town. Evie ran for the hill's crest, she was so excited to see her home again. The houses, the square even the school. She froze. Kin caught up with Evie at the top of the hill, he had been laughing happily and calling out for her, until he saw it. Kin's heart stopped.

The town was gone. All of it was gone. Everything had been scorched black, all the shops and houses had been burned to the ground. Ash covered the earth and settled upon the blackened remains.

"What... What happened here?" Came Evie's small voice.

Kin knew, Mewtwo. Mewtwo had been looking for them last night, and when it didn't find them... This was all his fault.

Everyone who lived in the town, they were okay, they had to be. Kin ran down the hill into the town, he kicked up ash as he ran and came to a sudden stop in the centre of the square.

"Hello! Someone! Please! Anyone!" He cried.

There was no answer. Kin sunk to his knees, he slammed the ground with his fist, it couldn't be true, it couldn't be. Kin looked at the hill, Evie was standing stock still, she had now been joined by the rest of their group, they all seemed frozen in time.