Chapter 16: Eve of an Era

"Leave now!" Skarmory bellowed.

Kin looked at the Snivy, she had fainted and was lying still. In his hand he held the job request Snivy had sent to the guild. He read it over and looked at Skarmory.

"Sorry pal, you've got something that belongs to her, and we aren't leaving here without it!" Kin shouted. Skarmory screeched and flew at Kin, the Riolu flipped away from the attack. Skarmory circled around and flew back, his wings hardened into solid steel and he aimed the attack straight at Riolu. Kin threw up his arms to block the Steel Wing but was thrown hard, he rolled across the ground before finding his feet and skidding to a stop.

Skarmory screeched again and flew towards Kin, Evie ran forwards and tackled their foe, Skarmory flew off course straight towards Kira. Kira fired a Flame Burst at the bird, Skarmory flapped its wings and barely dodged the attack. Twigs shot a Magical Leaf and Skarmory tried to dodge the attack but couldn't get away, the leaves hunted Skarmory down and struck home. The steel-flying type screamed in anger.

"Enough!" Skarmory shouted. It hovered in the air and glared at the Pokémon in front of it. Kin, Kira, Twigs and Evie stood ready to attack, suddenly they were surrounded on sides, Skarmory had used Double Team. The copies opened their mouth's wide and let out a horrible Screech attack. Team Forest-Fire held their paws over their ears trying to block out the hideous sound, but it was no use. Skarmory changed it up, some of the doubles continued using Screech but others now rained a volley of Air Slash's on the cowering Rescue Team. Kin opened his eyes, Evie was lying on the ground trying to protect herself, Twigs was standing over Kira and using Withdraw, but the grass-type wouldn't last much longer. This had to stop, now.

Kin jumped directly upwards, high above the attacking Skarmory he reached out with his Aura, the real Skarmory... Which one was it? It was... that one! There!

Kin breathed in and let out a mighty yell as he punched a Vacuum Wave at the real Skarmory. It was a direct hit, Skarmory fell to the ground with a thud and its copies vanished. Something fell from Skarmory's talon, the item hit the ground silently, Kin picked it up and grinned at his teammates. "Mission accomplished!" He announced happily.

"Yay... us." Evie said before collapsing, she fell on her side and her eyes closed.

"Evie! Evie what's wrong? Wake up!" Kin shouted in a panic.

"Kin!" Twigs demanded.

Riolu looked at Turtwig with a worried expression, Twigs placed a paw on Kin's shoulder. "Relax, she's just tired. As a Rescue Team leader you always need to remain calm and confident, believe you're in control, don't worry about the problem, think about what you can do to solve it."

Kin calmed down a little and breathed easier. "Right, Kira get Snivy, we're going back to the guild." Twigs nodded and smiled at Kin, Riolu picked up Evie and cradled her in his arms, he could see bruises on her, she was out like a light, just how little sleep did she get last night?

"Let's get out of here." Kira called from the other side of the room, the Torchic had placed a talon gently on Snivy's back, Kin nodded, pushed a button on his badge and they were teleported from the dungeon.

******

"Ugh... Where? Where am I?" Snivy asked as she slowly sat up.

"This is the guild's infirmary." A voice said startling her.

Snivy looked over and saw the Riolu from earlier, he was standing by a bed on which lay a sleeping Eevee, his paw rested on her back.

"Oh, you're..."

"Don't worry, you're safe now, Skarmory won't bother you anymore."

"Skarmory? Oh! My item, did you get it back?" she asked in clear distress.