Chapter 6: Vows of kin

Leavanny was pacing the square, she spotted three figures coming up the path and she froze.

There was an Eevee and a Riolu, the Riolu looked like he was struggling, he looked pale and weak, the Eevee had a nasty bruise on one side, but she wore a beaming smile. Riding on the Eevee's back was a Sewaddle. "Mama!" It cried.

Eevee and Riolu started running and Leavanny went to meet them, Sewaddle jumped from Evie's back into Leavanny's arms, the grass and bug types fell to the ground hugging each other and crying. Leavanny looked at Kin and Evie, she smiled at them and mouthed the words 'thank-you.'

The duo smiled at her, they nodded and left, Kin and Evie walked from the square, up the hill behind town. Kin sat with his legs dangling over the cliff's edge and Evie lay down next to him.

Kin didn't say anything, he just stared at the ocean, he looked sick, Evie frowned, what she was about to say, it was selfish, she knew that, but it felt... right.

"Kin?"

"Hm?" He asked still staring at the horizon.

"Would you..." Evie choked on her words and Kin looked at her, he nodded for her to continue, so she swallowed the lump in her throat. "Kin, would you form a Rescue Team with me?"

Kin was caught off-guard, he was surprised at first and looked at Evie like she was crazy, but he knew that she was serious, he looked out over the open ocean and sighed sadly.

"Vee, you know I can't."

"Why not?"

"You saw what happened today... I can't spend the rest of my life charging headlong into dungeons."

"But!"

"But nothing! You saw me today! I'm a killer Vee. I'm a monster, I can't stop myself."

"But... I can."

"You can what?"

"Stop you."

"No, you can't. No one can. I'm sorry."

"I saw you today, I saw you grow and overcome your instincts, after that first battle you started to lose it, I brought you back, and every battle after that, you were fine, you were in complete control."

"Until Shiftry."

"That was my fault, you were just trying to protect me! If I hadn't gotten myself hurt, then you would never have..."

"Vee, what if that happens again? What if next time I can't stop? What if you can't bring me back? What if I hurt you?"

"I know you would never-"

Kin held up a paw and she stopped, Kin looked her in the eye, he looked sad, so very sad.

"Vee, you don't know what I'm capable of."

"I'm not scared."

"I am Vee! I am. I can't let you get hurt, not again."

"Kin..."

The Riolu raised one paw to her head and the other to his chest, he closed his eyes and his feelers lifted and began shaking.

Evie closed her eyes, everything that Kin felt, she felt; his guilt, his sorrow, his remorse. When she opened her eyes she was crying, Kin's big ruby eyes were wet.

He stood and faced away from her.

"Vee, I know how you feel, when we rescued Sewaddle, we saved a life, I was so happy. But, knowing that every time we enter a dungeon I put you in danger... I'm sorry, I can't do that."