CHAPTER 16

Daxton's POV

"Alright Winchester, please don't disappoint me", I said as I sat down in dad's study with our lawyer and him.

Kane Winchester has been our family lawyer for longer than I could remember. He was an elderly man in late fifties who was really proactive for his age. His tall figure and thick beard made him look like one of those spooky men from the horror movies, but believe me when I said this man was an angel.

I mean, he approved of the idea of Jade and me marrying because he thought it would qualify as basis for a strong family business and-

"Snap out of your thoughts, son", he interrupted my thoughts, making me focus on him.

I glanced at dad who was sitting behind his desk as he stared at Kane and me who were sat in front of him.

"Son, you say that you don't want to get married next week?", Kane asked as he flipped through the pages of the file in his hands.

"That's not it, Kane. He wants to get married next week, but Jade isn't ready", my dad smirked, making my eyes widen.

Since when did my dad start teasing me?

"Uh, it's nothing like that. Hey, I just suggested next week 'cause of the business", I managed to speak.

My dad and Kane just chuckled.

A few seconds of awkward silence later, Kane spoke.

"Alright son, here's the deal. I managed to prepare this in less than ten hours and this is the best I could come up with", he said handing me the file.

"I mean, I didn't expect you to call me at midnight and ask me to prepare another deal by today, but I guess I should have know", he shrugged.

"And what does it say?", dad asked as he folded his hands on his desk.

"The same what Dax wanted. That they get engaged by next week and be married by the end of this month, that's three weeks from now".

I nodded as I skimmed through the deal.

This is what Jade wanted. She wasn't ready to marry me and the least I could do was give her time until her exams were done.

"You better hurry up and marry her, son. Because we're gonna tell people that you'll are getting married and that's why your families are extending the business. Not the other way around", Kane said as he stood up.

"I'll see you again whenever you'll need me", he said as he motioned towards dad.

"Come over for dinner this weekend. The Okoyes will be here too", dad said and he nodded.

"Thanks Kane", I said as I placed the folder on dad's desk.

"Don't thank me, son. It's my job. I get paid to do it", he chuckled as he walked out of the study.

"So...", dad dragged out.

"So what?", I questioned.

"So, what have you planned for Jade? Anything special as yet?", he asked with sudden interest.

"Oh, well I took her on a date last night", I shrugged.

"Are you for real?", he asked with what seemed like disbelief.

"Uh, father, what are trying to say?", I asked, confused.

"Daxton, you're going to marry her. Do something special for her other than taking her out on boring dates", he said throwing his hands up in the air.