Chapter Forty Nine

Start from the beginning

As if knowing what I was thinking, his hand reached down towards said drawer and pulled the folded paper up. "Truth to be told, I was actually quite skeptical at first when he told me about you. I asked him many times to do a DNA test but somehow he kept insisting that he just knew you was his daughter and his only."

As gently as ever, he grabbed my arm so that my palm was facing upward on his table and placed the letter inside, "That was the moment when I knew that you had already crawled your way deep inside his heart."

Staring down at the old and wrinkly paper, I didn't even realize that there were tears running down my cheeks as my eyes scanned the beautifully scrawled words again.

"He loved you, Lisa. Hell, he probably had loved you long when he found out about you. I guess he was just scared." Mr Kim explained with a low voice, his own eyes slowly turning glassy.

Taking in a deep breath, I swallowed down before croaking. "Can you bring me to the place where he was buried later?"

Mr Kim immediately lowered his head at that, both his shoulders slumping down in what I acknowledged as remorse.

After a few lapse of silence, he finally answered. "There were no remains of him. Or anyone even. We only knew that he was one of the passengers and that the whole plane blew before touching down into the middle of the sea."

Oh God.

"Where was the plane headed in the first place?" I wondered out loud as I wiped another escaped tear.

Mr Kim appeared to be hesitant for a split second, "It was headed to Thailand."

I widened my eyes at him.

"I checked with his company and found out that he doesn't even have any ongoing business there. Which led me to one final conclusion," he said as his eyes searched my face, "That letter was the last one that he had ever sent to me. I never replied to it. But I think... He had eventually decided on what to do anyway."

I stared at him in silence, my heart slowly breaking inside me pieces by pieces.

A few tears had already formed inside his eyes now, "He chose to stay with you, Lisa."

While everything began clicking into its place, my throat let out a choked sob as I closed my eyes tightly.

"It honestly doesn't register to me until so many years later when I suddenly thought about you again," a warm hand closed over my clasped ones on the table and squeezed, "I began going over his previous letters after that and when the thought crossed over my head, I just knew that I had to find you."

"Was that why you came to Thailand that day?" I sniffled.

He let out a tired sigh. "Yes, that was exactly the reason why."

I stared at him for a few beats as I straightened over my seat when I remembered about something.

"What about when you got stabbed? Was that planned too?"

He shook his head, "That was a total coincidence," he trailed as a thoughtful look passed over his face. "Although I would much rather call it fate."

"I'm glad that I saved you that day," the words was already pouring out of me without me even realizing.

Mr Kim watched as I wiped at my tears again and smiled softly, the corners of his eyes crinkling.