Chapter Two

Chapter Two: "don't worry"

Not too long after my life-changing decision, I realize I literally have no idea where to start. The determination that ignited my heart simmers down quickly as the rain drenches my clothes. Suddenly it feels icy, and the spring wind is biting.

Thinking about Spencer now brings a truckload of emotions: sadness because I miss him, anger at the police, betrayal because my best friend disappeared on me with no warning, and more anger towards myself for having the nerve to blame Spencer for whatever happened to him. It makes me numb and tired. Eventually I stop running, trudging along a cold, dark path with no destination. Feeling hopeless, I bring my hood over my head and try not to think about it.

Somehow I end up at Coco's - a tiny, homely diner squatting on a crowded street corner. The orange glow emanating from the windows calls to me much more than the storm has, so I walk up to the front door. The bell chimes as the door swings open, but before I step onto the checkered floors of the diner something catches my eye.

"Jarret?"

The tiny ball of a person turns his head in my direction. His smile seems out of place amongst his soggy curls and dirty clothes.

"Oh. Hey, Elliot," he greets.

Jarret brings himself closer to the wall of the diner, taking advantage of the cover that the overhanging roof provides from the rain. Seeing a child's body sitting against the dulled bricks creates a painful image.

"What are you doing out here?"

I let go of the door, joining Jarret on the damp sidewalk. He gives a self-deprecating chuckle and plays with his fingers. "I lost my keys again," he says, glancing away. His eyes follow the drops of rain in front of us as they descend towards the ground. "Mom works late on weekdays, so I'm waiting here until the end of her shift."

I frown. "In the rain?"

He shrugs. "I'd rather not loiter around inside if I'm not gonna buy anything."

His dark orbs are trained on a girl around his age, shuffling quickly towards the entrance of Coco's with her mother. The middle-aged woman gives us a puzzled look, but doesn't ask questions as she ushers her daughter into the warmth of the establishment.

Have people just been walking by this kid all evening?

I sigh, slipping off my jacket to wrap it around the younger boy. Although he's already wearing one of his own, he gratefully takes the extra article of clothing and clings it close to his body.

"Well, that's dumb," I say, retracting my hands. "You shouldn't be out in the rain like this. And you know you're always welcome at my house. I've told you that."

Jarret's head turns towards me. He studies me in a way that a boy his age usually wouldn't. "People say things like that all the time to us," he says. "But I think they only say them because it sounds nice."