Chapter 44

It was the night of the meeting with the Cullen's and to say Jacob was anxious would have been an understatement

It was the night of the meeting with the Cullen's and to say Jacob was anxious would have been an understatement. It wasn't the whole facing them which had his wolf on edge, but rather his mate insisting that she be present as well. That was what had him more than a tad uncomfortable with the situation.

He knew Brooke had a soft spot for the Cullen's, except for Alice that is, but he could hardly blame her. She had told him how the pixie vamp abused her gift on a regular bases, lying and manipulating to get her way. It made him loath the female vampire more than he already did, and that was saying something.

Shaking his head he had decided to stay in human form unlike the rest of the pack apart from Sam. He knew he was a fucking excellent shifter and he was confident in his abilities to be able to shift mid-run at the first signs of attack. But right now, he felt his mate was at her safest with him firmly planted at her side. It was a position he had no intention of moving from.

It was mid-day when the sweet scent of leech hit his delicate sense of smell, his nose cringing in disgust at the sickly aroma. He knew he would never get used to it.

In a matter of seconds the whole coven was standing in front of them, a few yards away. Jacob tightened his hold on his mate, pushing her slightly behind him and she made no move to protest. She wasn't stupid nor foolish, she was gifted yes but not invincible.

Carlisle was first to speak. "Thank you for agreeing to meet with us at such short notice, my coven appreciates this."

Sam nodded, not mentioning yet that they already knew days beforehand what was happening. A sick sense of smugness went through him at the fact they had such a large warning before the leeches, it was deliciously satisfying to his wolf.

It didn't take Jacob long to locate Bella's form as she slipped down Edward's back, watching as his mate tensed up before she glared in her direction. He cringed.

It was the southern vampire who spoke next however, looking over his mate curiously. Jacob fought back a snarl, baring his teeth silently.

"Why can I not feel you?" Jasper tilted his head to the side.

At that Brooke smiled brightly. "Hello Are's."

The stunned look on the vamps face was enough for a snort to come from Pauls muzzle, Brooke turning to shoot him a wink before she returned back to face a startled Jasper.

"Wha-? How?" He knew for a fact that none of the pact were aware of his title, not even Bella was.

"I know a lot, like I know you are not happy with my presence here" she smiled gently.