Chapter 22

"What has her so moody?" Emily asked with a slight frown, wondering what had happened to the sweet shy girl that she had first met when the boys invited her round for the first time. She had been such a nice girl, not the demanding and rude one she had been today. She was a guest in Jacob's and Billy's house, and yet she acted as if she didn't care.

"Probably not getting any from her prude of a leech" Paul snorted as he made a move to get up, he worked with Sam and they both needed to get going since it was clear Jared was already there as not to leave the site unmanned. It was lucky that Sam owned the construction site or they would have been fired long ago. Kim had also wanted to come with them when they heard about Brooke but she had a relative coming round for a few days and couldn't get out of it, not that any of them blamed her since they had already called her telling her that her new pack sister was fine.

"Be nice Paul, he's just looking for love" Brooke stated softly, shocking them all that she was sticking up for the telepathic vampire. She knew they didn't understand what she did, how long he had been looking for love only to be let down. She felt sorry for him, but not enough to go out of her way to make him happy like she was going to with Jasper. Now that was a vampire who had been through a lot; he deserved happiness and she refused to let that pixie bitch play him for much longer!

"You're really sticking up for the leech?" Paul found himself growling at her, Jacob immediately pushing her behind him slightly as he snarled at his pack brother. How dare he growl at his imprint, at the soon to be alpha female! Paul may be his best mate, but Brooke would always come first and he needed to get that into that thick head of his!

"Watch your tone when you're talking to her, Paul!" he snapped, Paul actually looking ashamed at his attitude towards her when he calmed down his wolf. He hadn't meant to snap at her but he was already tightly wound from when the leech-lover had been round a few moments ago, not to mention his panic and worry when he had heard that something had happened to Brooke this morning.

"Sorry B" he muttered looking down, feeling himself relax slightly as he realised that he may have over-reacted slightly. His emotions had gotten the better of him and he regretted raising his voice to his pack sister, though like the amazing girl she was he knew that had already forgiven him.

"It's fine Paul, don't worry about it" she replied with a smile, her small hands rubbing Jacobs biceps and arms as she felt him relax and calm down due to her touch. She couldn't help but smile at the thought of him protecting her like he did; making her heart skip a beat that he cared so much even though she knew Paul never would be a threat

"Right come on Paul we have to get going, I need to drop Emily off on the way" Sam stated as he made a move to leave, Brooke thanking them profoundly for their help only to have them wave it off as if it was nothing. They knew she would do the same for them, hell she was constantly looking out for their safety even if she seemed to forget that what she was doing did actually matter, a lot more than she thought.

"I'm heading off as well, I need to talk to the elders" Billy stated as he watched them all leave, looking at the pair who were still in each other's arms as he did so.

"Keep safe Billy, thank you for letting me stay" Brooke smiled as she walked over and kissed him on the cheek in thanks. She was still feeling slightly guilty that neither of them knew just how thankful she was that she was welcome here so much, if she wasn't then she would have no other choice but to spend her time at the place she was meant to call home which was the last place she wanted to go.