Chapter 20

Brooke felt her brows pull together into a tight frown as her head throbbed painfully, a low whine coming from her slightly chapped lips at the all too familiar pain which seemed pulsed in her head and stiff muscles. Unfortunately the feeling wasn't all that new to her, having suffered from this many times in her past due to the same sickening reason.

As soon as she had made a sign of coming too Jacob was immediately on guard, his head filled with questions and panic about what would happen when she woke up. Would she be angry with him? Upset? Oh god what if she didn't want him anymore, he knew he could never let her go even if that's what she wanted. He couldn't, no, he wouldn't let her go! She was HIS!

"Jake" Brooke found herself mumbling under her breath, her throat hoarse making it painful for her to speak. She could hear someone speaking but her ears felt as if they had been plugged with cotton wool so she couldn't make out what they were saying; only that someone was trying to get her attention. She could tell who it was though; the sparks and comfort gave her Jacob away instantly much to her relief.

"Brooke, baby can you hear me? You alright darling?" he rushed out when he saw her start to stir lightly on his sheets, his name spilling from her lips as she seemed to be coming out of it. Thank god! He instantly felt his body fill with relief that his angel was going to be alright, his wolf calming slightly but both himself and his animal were still on high alert for anything that could go wrong with his imprint.

Brooke continued to fade in and out of consciousness, knowing the feeling all too well as her instinctual reflex acted as a coping mechanism in these sorts of situations. One thing she was clear of though was she was not going home tonight.

Jacob watched her with relief as he saw her eyes flutter, her bandaged hands gripping onto his wrist as if he was the only thing keeping her teethed to the earth as she whined in protest when he shifted slightly on the bed, his body instinctively freezing in place to calm her back down. He tried to ignore how his pack mates were arguing in the other room, all wanting to check on her as well after hearing her waking up and his relieved questions as he tried to get her to respond to him. Sam had to verbally alpha order Paul to wait outside, knowing that he was extremely close to his imprint. He was relieved that Sam was smart enough to do so since whenever one of them even got past the kitchen his vicious and territorial growls echoed through the house when they got to close to his mate; neither him nor his wolf wanted them so close!

"Jake?" Brooke mumbled, finally feeling herself coming out of it as she made to sit up only to have Jacob quickly help her into a sitting position by rubbing and supporting her back soothingly in case she fell. To be honest he would have preferred her to keep lying down, but he kept his mouth shut as he whispered sweet nothings in her ear softly as she seemed to sway slightly before she leaned her weight against him.

"I'm here baby, open your eyes for me" he breathed smiling, his eyes still glossy as his wolf purred as he looked after his fragile mate. The sound seemed to instinctively rumble through his chest as he tried to comfort his love; what had happened this morning only reminding him of how delicate she actually was compared to himself and the pack. He was still furious though, hating himself for leaving her this morning when his whole body had protested him not to.

He hadn't even had a good time with Bella, and while it was nice to catch up with her he couldn't help but notice the little things he had missed when he was blinded with what he thought was love for her. The way she was self-centred on herself when he had believed her to be selfish, how she would constantly try to pry into his life as she tried to get him to spill on the secrets of the pack and elders which he had sworn to guard. He also remembered Brookes request; no he wouldn't be the one telling Bella Swan more about his heritage.