Chapter 36

Chapter 36

The silence wrapped itself around my heart and squeezed. 

"Iris...it's us," the dark haired boy whispered. His brows were furrowed, concern contorting  his pleasant features into a sad, disheartened mask. 

"I'm so sorry." My throat was dry; my words were brittle. "I'm so sorry," I repeated. They obviously knew who I was, but I had no recollection of these people, or why I was there, and what had happened to take my sight away in one eye. My heart was beating fast, too fast. I felt like a caged animal, ready to attack at a moments notice. 

"I...how did this happen?" The boy turned around, bringing a hand to his face, as a girl with springy curls put a hand on his shoulder. She rested her forehead on the back of his neck, for just a moment, before turning to me. 

"Do you remember your name?" She asked me, sitting on the edge of the bed. I tried to ignore the dark haired boy and his sadness. 

"Iris." I said, sticking out my chin. "Of course I know my own name." She nodded, clearly relieved. 

"Well, Iris, we're your friends. There was a fire, and you're lucky to have gotten out." She reached out to touch my hand. Instinctively, I recoiled. This was all too much. 

"A fire? Did my house burn down? Was anyone else hurt?" I swallowed, fearing the worst. What kind of tragedy had I just endured? 

"A few people," the girl sighed, "but a lot of people were saved in the end. You helped," she said. "You helped." 

"What's your name?" I asked. Had we been close? Had we shared secrets, or had she just been someone I had occasionally said hello to? 

"Terika," she said. "I met you a long time ago, but we were really different. You...grew up," she sighed, pausing to choose her words. Behind Terika,  the nurse swept away the shards of glass, her eyes glued to the floor. 

"When can I leave?" I asked. I felt trapped inside of these people's expectations, their heartbreak, their sorrow. I was like a bug in amber, the world hazy and confusing. I was left wondering how I had gotten so stuck in the first place. The nurse pulled her head up. 

"A few days, at least," she said. "Your burns need to heal a bit, and you'll have to go through some physical therapy. Then you can go home," she smiled softly. Home? Where was that? 

"I don't remember where I live," I said slowly. My voice cracked painfully, despite my efforts. "I don't remember anything." I could feel tears leaking from my eyes, searing my raw skin as they traced down my face. 

The boy moved forward, as though to touch my arm, but the nurse stepped in between me and the group. 

"Everyone out!" she hissed, ushering them out the door. I leaned back in the bed, my body tense and hurting, letting all my emotions tear me to pieces. The nurse shut the door and swiftly appeared at my side, dabbing at my face with a soft cloth. She whispered soothingly. 

"You'll be okay, dear," she said, over and over. I clung to her, a lifesaver in a tumultuous sea in which I was dangerously close to drowning. Would I be okay? I didn't know. 

"I don't know who they are," I whispered. "I wish I knew. I wish I knew," She hushed me gently. 

"It's okay. You'll remember when you're good and ready."  She cupped my chin, forcing me to lock my good eye with hers. 

"You've seen hardship. You've been beat down, I can see it in you, how you hold yourself. But," she said intensely, "you're still here." I swallowed, breathing halting breaths, listening to her every word as though they would save me. And maybe they would. 

"This too shall pass," she said, leaning forwards and touching her forehead to mine. "This too shall pass." I took deep breaths. I was alive. I was here. I would be okay. 

"Alright," she said, standing up. "What I think you should do is let your friends help you. They're here for you, and they brought you in. You can trust them," she smiled. "It can be overwhelming, I know. Let yourself listen. Not to everyone at once, but to someone. Everything takes time." She bent to pick up the rest of the glass she had been sweeping. 

"Okay," I breathed. "Okay." She nodded. 

"I'll send someone in," she said quietly. "Remember, just let yourself listen." She left, shutting the door with a soft click. I could hear quiet voices outside before the door opened again.  The dark haired boy stepped in the room. 

"Hi," he said. He dragged a flimsy plastic chair from the corner of the room, placing it next to the bed. He sat down and leaned forwards. 

"My name is Dylan," he said. "and I'm going to tell you everything I know." He sat a safe distance away, his hands clasped firmly on his lap. 

"Everything?" I asked. I was hopeful to be able to fit into my own life again. I wanted to know where home was, and what these people meant to me. I wanted to know who I was. 

"Everything." He paused, and began to tell my story. 

I let myself relax, my body groaning in appreciation. I closed my eyes. I wanted to listen. To discover. To remember. 

This too shall pass.

I would remember. 

A/N: Thank you so much for coming on this journey with me. This is the final chapter for Mutants, but a second book is in the works...Comment below what you think will happen. I hope you enjoyed reading Mutants as much as I have enjoyed writing it. 

XO.