Chapter 12

A/N: I really hope you guys are enjoying the book!! Vote, comment and fan, please!

Chapter 12

The window glinted in the morning sun, sending slivers of light into my vision, forcing me to look away. I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. I looked behind me. Thomas was looking at me, concern in his eyes.

"Why do you keep looking at that warehouse?" He asked quietly. I silently shook my head. I had probably been imagining things. I had seen Dylan's face, watching me.

"I'm gonna go downstairs for breakfast. Are you coming?" He asked, jingling the keys to the room.

"No, I'm not hungry. You go." I said absentmindedly. He left, shutting the door quietly behind him. I stepped outside, unto the rickety balcony. The thin metal fence was the only thing between me and open air. I let the morning wind whip around my face, blowing my dark hair behind me. I took a deep breath and looked out over the warehouses.

"Hey! You there!" My head snapped down, watching the ground below. A person with a shock of orange hair was turning around slowly. Even from up where I was, you could tell they were tall and gangly. I looked for who had yelled, and my heart dropped. A man in a grey uniform with a gun in his hand. I kneeled down, my head bent. A sick feeling flew through me. Images flashed through my mind. Pain. Blood. The prison. I shakily stood again. If that boy was a mutant, I was going to help him. She couldn't stand by and watch.

"Can I help you?" The boy asked, eyeing the weapon in the mans hand.

"Yes, I believe you can, freak," the man said. The boys eyes widened as the man pointed his gun at the boys chest.

"No," I whispered. No. No more pain. Without thinking, I jumped the railing, using my mind to soften what would have been a bone crushing landing.

I ran and stood in front of the boy, my arms out.

"Don't you dare," I said, narrowing my eyes. The guard laughed and then spit on the ground.

"Or what, little girl?" He threw back his head and howled. Anger rushed through my veins and mixed with revenge.

"Or this," I said. Using my mind, I lifted him off of the ground by his throat. He struggled for air, gasping. I could see the life draining out of him. I let him crumple to the ground.

I turned to the boy. Instead of hope, there was something I hadn't seen before when someone looked at me; fear.

*************Reid's POV*****************

The gun glinted, a weapon of death, and pointed at his heart. He took a deep breath, heart pumping hard. There was no one to save him now. He saw the guard begin to squeeze the trigger. He started to close his eyes. He wanted this to be quick.

"Don't you dare," he heard. He opened his mouth and eyes in shock. The girl had her back to him, her dark hair swaying in the wind. She was saving his life, and he was just standing there. He couldn't seem to make his legs move.

The guard laughed and spit on the ground. Reid wanted to tell this crazy girl to run; she was going to get killed.

"Or what, little girl?" The guard challenged her, his husky voice mocking her. He laughed again, a sound that made Reid shiver.

Then the girl did something Reid knew he would never, ever forget; she started to strangle the guard just by raising her hand. Her anger was evident; Reid could tell by the way she stood.

She let the guard fall to the ground, panting. She turned to Reid.

He didn't know what to do. Run? Thank her? Kneel? He looked around; no one else was about.