Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Green eyes like mine looked at me.

"Iris?" Her voice shook, not daring to believe.

"I'm home," I said, acting as if I had just stepped outside to get the mail.

She threw her arms around me, pulling me into her familiar scent.

"Mom," I whispered, wrapping my chilled arms around her.

She placed her hands on my shoulder, stepping back to look at me.

"We were so, so worried," she said, concern in her bright eyes. Her dark hair was swept into a careless braid.

"I...I'm sorry, mom." I said, never wanting to leave.

"Oh honey, I can't believe your here. We thought you were gone forever," she said, a single tear slipping down her cheek.

"He's still here, huh?" I said, cracking a smile.

"I can't get him out of the house enough," She said, smiling, her eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Come in," she said, closing the door behind me.

She sat me down on the couch, sitting across from me.

"Where were you?" She asked, her voice shaking slightly.

"I..." I started. I realized I had no idea what to say.

How would I tell her?

'I'm different,' I would say. 'So different that people want me locked up. Killed.'

I'd been away for too long.

I couldn't seem to form words.

"I...I don't know," I said, forcing the words to form and leave my mouth.

"You don't know," she repeated. "Or you can't tell me." She said, hurt in her eyes.

"Can I see Rale?" I asked, my voice a whisper, trying to desperately change the subject.

"Yes. Of course. He's probably still up anyway," she said, getting up.

I was silent as she left, going to get my brother. Rale. He'd always been so protective, so...there for me. He had always worked hard, even if it meant less for him and more for others. I held my breath, the anticipation building up inside of me.

"Iris." He said. My name echoed through the quiet room.

"Hi, Rale," I said, giving him a weak smile. He stood, looking at me, his eyes, green like mine, searching for answers he would never get. His dark hair was messy, and his clothed were horribly crumpled. He looked as of he hadn't slept in days.

He rushed over to me, wrapping his strong arms around me. His arm still around me, he sat down on the couch.

"Where have you been?" He asked. He wanted the truth. My mother did to. And they deserved it so much, but I just couldn't bring myself to drag them into my shattered world.

"I can't tell you," I said, avoiding his eyes. His jaw was slack, and his eyes were filled with hurt.

"Of course you can," My mother urged. I shook my head. She sighed, sitting next to me.

"I'm just glad your safe," she said. I could tell she wanted to ask questions, but she was respecting me by not asking.

Rale, being the awkward, loveable brother he was, turned on the T.V, trying to break the suffocating tension in the small living room.

A news reporter stood, his hand on his microphone like it was his lifeline. He was talking quickly, a touch of doubt in his voice.

"-his message is spreading across the globe. As you can see behind me," he said, gesturing to a poster, " Mister DeRange is making himself known, and raising awareness for the safety of the world. He states that mutant humans have been living, and trying to pass as functioning members of society, undetected. He says that they are dangerous, and should be kept where they will not harm others. Here he is now." My lungs couldn't seem to get enough air. I didn't know what to make of what was happening.

Feronty's face filled the screen.

The face that caused pain.

The face that caused his own son to die.

The face that had cost people their lives.

"Thank you," he said, smiling tight lipped, "Now, as you know, I am trying to protect you by removing these dangerous mutants and outcasts from where they can bring you harm." He holds up a flier. "These have information that will help you identify a mutant, and it also has our number. Do not hesitate to call." He hands the flier to someone off screen.

"But please; know this. If you are found with any contact to a mutant, there will be consequences." He said, his eyes turning cold.

Rale shut the T.V off, rolling his eyes.

"Is this guy for real? He's probably just some crack pot wanting attention," he snorted. I tried to nod, but my mouth was dry.

I closed my eyes, trying to calm my mind, my heartbeat, my shaking hands.

Feronty was mixing our worlds, like a chemist who found joy at watching his experiments explode.

He was bringing in spectators for our little game.

Now I was in more danger then ever.

Now my family was in danger.

Now everything would change.

I opened my eyes.

I was going to kill him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please vote and comment!

Yours truly,

Serelle <3