Chapter 16

Chapter 16

*Dylan*

I stared at the boy.

I could feel the look of blankness on my face, but in my defence, he had just strutted in, took one look at Iris and declared that he was going to die. So in the big scheme of things, I didn't call myself on being clueless.

"What?" I asked. Maybe I had heard him wrong. But I somehow doubted it.

"I'm going to die," he repeated calmly. He looked around the room, humming under his breath, holding his hands behind his back.

"Um...why, exactly?" I asked.

"Because of the chip. It needs another host, or else it will self destruct. So if we take more then a minute..." He shrugs. I could feel his unspoken words; 'this place will go ka-boom.'

"How will that make you die?" I asked in a low voice. I wished Reid were here-he would be able to understand. To make sense of everything.

"The chip needs to be placed in the exact same place." He tapped his chest. I let out a deep breath.

"We need to fool it into thinking it's still in Iris," he says, speaking as if we were taking a stroll in the park.

But reality got in the way, like always.

He was talking about dying, in order to save our friend who had to put herself in a coma just to save the lives around her.

There were hundreds of people, seeking safety from the horrors of the prisons.

We couldn't show our faces anymore.

We couldn't even dare to be ourselves.

That was our reality, and it sent chills down my spine. If I were a child, letting my imagination run wild, listening to my mother tell me a story of people with fantastic powers, I would imagine them as strong, ready to fight back.

People who never let anything get in their way.

But we weren't superheroes. We were mutants.

We always would be.

Except...no one knew about me, my abilities. The things I could do.

I wished I had told Iris before...everything. Before she had gotten shot. Before we were separated.

Before she'd practically put herself in a coma.

I sighed, bringing myself down to earth. The boy was studying the desk in the corner. I watched him. His face was calm, but in his eyes, I saw it. Fear.

It burned like a fire, the anticipation like fuel, making it grow, making it roar. Making it unbearable.

"Your brave." I said. It wasn't a question- it was a stone cold fact.

"Not really," he said. He shook his head slowly.

"Your willingly giving up your life. That's bravery." I said, almost in an arguing way.

"I'm not doing it for the good reasons," he said grimly, his mouth set in a straight line. I thought for a second. But I realized; his steely resolve, his willingness- it was all geared toward revenge.

He was smarter then he looked.

He knew that by saving Iris, he would be getting back at Feronty.

He knew that she was the key, and that if she was saved, then maybe Feronty would feel pain.

It was a feeling I knew often.

I wanted to make Feronty hurt, just like he'd done to so many.

Too many.

I didn't push the bravery topic any further after that.

"I'll go get Reid, he's our machine guy," I said, leaving the boy alone with Iris. I weaved through the milling people, searching for a head of orange in the crowd. I spotted him over by the computers that had been 'borrowed.'

"Reid," I said, "we need to talk." He nodded absently.

"Yeah, in a sec-" he started.

"Now." I said. He caught the look in my eye, and he nodded, apologizing to the person he had been helping.

"What's up?" He asked me, dropping a stack of papers of to the nearest desk.

"It's about Iris. And the chip." I said in a low voice. He looked up, alert.

"Shoot."

"This guy, he came and said he could help Iris. He's in the room now, and he says he-"

"Dylan!" Reid rounded on me, which was actually discomforting, considering how he towered over me.

"What?" I asked back. He looked angry.

"You let a stranger into the base!" He hissed.

"We can trust him! He knows who Iris is, I can tell." I said, arguing right back. Reid took a deep breath, and I suddenly realized just how old Reid looked. He was probably my age. He should have been debating what girl to ask to prom, or wether he was going to have to study for the next history test or not.

He didn't deserve this, but then again, no one did.

"Fine. But if does one thing that's untrustworthy, he's out." Reid said, anger still intertwined with his words. I nodded curtly.

I told Reid what he needed to do. He paled as I went on.

It was a lot for him, and I could see it in his face, but the Reid I knew wouldn't back down.

"I'll need Rayna, she's our best healer, oh, and grab me Daimion, I need his ice-" he started listing off names, and I tried to follow.

"When are you actually going to do it?" I asked him.

"Right now."

***************************************************************

I sat outside the door, sweat beading my forehead. My heart was pounding. I tried to make myself comfortable, but there was no way I could sit still with the back of a plastic chair jutting into my spine, so I gave up and starting pacing instead.

The door had been closed for days.

That's what it felt like.

But the clock told me that it had been only an hour.

I was so close.

So close to getting Iris back, maybe even for good.

I hoped.

If I could have wished upon a star, I would have swallowed all manly pride and done it, just for Iris.

I sighed, staring down the clock.

I heard a faint click behind me. I whirled around, and found myself staring into a pair of emerald green eyes that were determined and fierce.

She was alive.

_____________________________________

Hope you guys are enjoying!

Yours truly,

Serelle <3