Chapter 6

William's POV

Flopping down on my bed, I think over the past few hours. I help my mom prepare the dining area, so we would be able to fit all of the hungry wolves after the ceremonial run. Everytime a wolf turns sixteen those closest to them join them for the first shift and run through the woods with the new wolf. Since we are the future Alpha and Beta the majority of the pack will show up for the run. The elderly will watch the kids, then after the run everyone will gather for food and partying.

After we prepared the dining area, we started on the decorations, and making dinner. Now that everything is in the oven my mom lets me go to my room to 'prepare for my first shift' whatever that meant. I kept thinking about what Rose said, and how nervous my mom was acting. What is going on?

"William! Oh my Goddess, William!" Rose yells as she comes bursting in my room. She shut the door behind her and jumped on the foot of my bed. Grabbing my face she dramatically asks, "Are you listening?" I nod, my cheeks squishing into more of a fish face, causing her to laugh and let go of my face.

"What is happening, Rose? Where's the fire?"

"You won't believe what Nancy just told me." her voice dropped to a whisper, "but we aren't supposed to know, she thought she was talking to mom." I nod, sadly this has happened for and more. "Apparently sixteen years ago mom's friend, Wren, had a son, named Riley."

"I don't recognize those names. Did they move?" mom having friends who moved is nothing special, but judging by the look in Rose's eyes there is something more going on.

"No, they didn't move. She was murdered, and the boy was kidnapped. Just two weeks after we were born. He was born the same time as us, so it is his birthday today too. Don't you see?! That's why mom and dad are so nervous. They are hopping when he shifts his wolf will take him to his pack. They are hoping he comes home."

I sit back processing everything she had just said. I can tell Rose is impatient, and wants me to say something, but I'd rather process everything completely before I say something I regret. I leaned back on the bed, the wheels in my mind turning. How could our parents not tell us this? Someone was murdered, and a baby was kidnapped. As the soon-to-be Alpha I felt betrayed that I didn't know the packs secrets.

"Okay."

"Okay? Okay?! That is all you have to say? I share the biggest secret in pack history and you say okay?" Rose's voice turned into a screech, while I just sit quietly.

"Calm down, Rose. We can't bring this up with them until after the first run. Mom and dad are stressed enough, and really want to go smoothly. We can ask our questions and get answers, but let's wait until tomorrow."

"You're right." she lets out a sigh and heads towards my bedroom door, "I'll see you at sundown for the first run... Alpha" she winks then quickly leaves.

She knows I hate it when she calls me Alpha, yet the closer our birthday comes the more she tortures me with it. I know I should be excited, but I don't know if I can handle it, and I don't know if I want all of the power and attention that comes with it. Sighing I start to get ready for the first shift. Once the sun begins to set I head downstairs where my family and the pack are

waiting.

My mom and dad guide Rose and me to the edge of the woods. We take off our robes, as the moon rises we begin to shift. Pain washes over me as my bones begin to break and my muscles reshape. The sound of our bones cracking, and our screams fill the air. The rest of the pack shifts as well preparing for the ceremonial run through the forest. As soon as Rose and I are shifted are wolves immediately urged us to run into the forest. We sprint deeper and deeper into the woods wind rushing through our fur. For the first time in my life I felt truly free.

"Faster." I stumble as I hear the voices in my head, but something takes over pushing my wolf to run faster and faster.

"Who are you?" I shout in my head.

"I'm Reign, your wolf."

As soon as he told me, all of my teachings came back to me. I knew I would be able to communicate with my wolf, but nothing can prepare you for sharing your mind and body with another soul. Rose darts past me and Reign urges me to follow the large white wolf. As I catch up, Reign nips her tail causing her to turn around. Our wolves wrestle playfully, tumbling into a grassy opening. Rose and her wolf look up towards the moon and let out a loud howl. Reign and I quickly join. So we hear the rest of the pack join in as well. We sit down panting, waiting for the rest of the pack to catch up.

They show up forming a semi-circle around us. Our parents are the first to bow down. A clear sign of submission, illustrating the future shift of power from the current alpha to the future alpha. Uncle Noah and Aunt Ella are next since they are the current Beta Male and Beta Female. The rest of the pack quickly follows suit. I look out in awe at the forest full of bowing wolves. All of the sudden I feel Reign turn towards Rose.

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

"I'm bowing. Showing respect for our future Alpha." he hissed back.