Try To Wake Up

Inspired by the song Bury A Friend by Billie Eilish

Max had told you everything, you weren't sure how much of her story you believed. You just didn't know how to wrap your head around the fact that apparently there were monsters from a different dimension that are named after Dungeons & Dragons characters & one of them had decided to inhabit your boyfriend's body but what you did know is that Billy had been acting cold to you lately & whilst he acted cold towards everyone else he had never done so towards you & you also knew that he was currently sweating all over your lap as he repeatedly said he was sorry.
"Billy-" you shushed him, wiping his hair from his forehead "tell me what's going on." You squeezed your eyes shut as he grunted & his eyes rolled slightly.
"He's trying to hold back the Mind Flayer, he wants to speak to you." Max said urgently, you snapped your eyes open & glared at the children confront of you.
"He's having a fit! What did he take?" You yelled, your first aid training kicking in "I need you to turn the showers on, it needs to be lukewarm."
"But Y/N-" Max began to protest.
"Now Maxine!" You yelled, she sighed but did as you told her to "& you-" you said turning to look at the girl she had been hanging out with lately, the one that you were told had powers "use your so called powers to help me get him there." You said but it came out more like a question she nodded & held out her hand, Billy's body was suddenly hanging limp in the air, his head rolled back & that was enough for you to rush to his side & help him towards the showers.
You pushed him into the water as he tried to resist, he cried out & slammed his fists against the tiled walls "Billy!" You cried desperately fear taking over you as your brain tried to process what your eyes were seeing black veins began to crawl across his skin, he whirled on you grabbing you by the throat & pinning you against the wall. Snarling down at you as you struggled against his grip, eyes wide as your breath was haulted by his fingers.
Max ran forward with El but you held up your hand & they stopped as you turned back to Billy "Billy." You croaked out around his hand.
You could see the struggle in his eyes as his grip began to loosen "fight it, I know you can." You said as you grabbed his face between your hands, his eyes snapped open even further & he sucked in a sharp breath.
"I can't get it out, Y/N." He said his voice was broken & panicked, his tone made your heart wretch & it almost made you break down right there & then, you'd never heard him sound so small "it's everywhere, it's apart of me." He squeaked "I don't w-want to do the things it's making me do, it's like I'm dreaming & I-I can't wake up-" he sobbed & sucked in his bottom lip looking to the floor in despair.
Your eyes went wide & you made him look at you, scooping his face up gently in your hands "Billy, you have to try. you have to fight it. I know you can." He was shaking his head & sobbing "Billy I need you, Max needs you." You pleaded with him. You swallowed back tears as his body shook & the black veins throbbed under his skin.
"I love you, no matter what I do, I love you." He said scooping your own cheeks into his big hands & kissing your forehead roughly.
Your heart skipped a beat that was the first time out of the two years you had been together that he said anything like that "Billy I-I love you too but you have to fight this." You stuttered out, his body began to shake as he shook his head & he took a step back holding up his hand as you tried to follow.
"Don't!" He yelled "it's coming!" & just like that Billy straightened & threw himself towards you hands outstretched aggressively. You were frozen in your place as you watched his body fly across the room as El tried to protect you, your mouth fell open as your body fell to the floor.
This was real, the monsters, the upside down -as the kids kept calling it-, all of it & one of those things was currently living inside your boyfriend's body & there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
(JUST ANOTHER ROUGH ONE FOR YOU GUYS WHILST I ATTEMPT TO WRITE UP ALL THE REQUESTS YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN SENDING IN, I PLAN TO HOPEFULLY SMASH THEM ALL OUT BY THE END OF NEXT MONTH, I'M SO GRATEFUL THAT YOU GUYS TRUST ME ENOUGH TO WRITE THEM FOR YOU! HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOYED THIS AS ALWAYS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT, I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU ALL.)