Unaccepted (14)

Kaycee.

"Kaycee." Mom knocked rapidly and loudly on my closed door.

I groaned slightly, annoyed at being woken up and checked my phone for the time.

8:23 a.m

"Come in." I replied after she called my name out a little louder , my voice cracking at lack of usage.

"It's locked, Kayc." Mom sighed, evidently getting irritated. I could feel my face burning up a bit as I recalled my crying session last night, which explained the locked door.

Sean hadn't replied to my text when I suggested to meet, which only gave me more time to wallow over what happened and cry as I thought about his stupidly harsh words the other evening.

I muttered angrily under my breath about how no one deserves to be woken up that early on a weekend as I walked up to my door and yanked my door open, ready to lecture mom. However, I couldn't help but slip a slight gasp as I saw someone else standing beside mom.

Sean.

He refused to look me in the eye, fidgeting nervously with his fingers. Mom squeezed his shoulder before quietly making her way downstairs.

"Why are you here?" I asked, my tone unintentionally harsh.

"I think we need to talk." He replied. "Can I come in, or...?"

"Yeah." I mumbled, stepping to the side as he walked in. I closed the door behind him, silently bracing myself to make sure I don't yell since Kylie and Devon were probably still asleep.

"I'm really, really sorry." He began, turning around to face me. I analyzed his features carefully, trying to figure out what it was he was trying to say.

"Well, I mean, I don't want you to be sorry if that's what you actually feel." I shrugged, crossing my arms.

"That's the thing though, I didn't mean any of that." He replied. "I honestly don't know why I even said that, Kayc. I was just being stupid...and, paranoid."

I narrowed my eyes at him, attempting to detect even the slightest trace of a lie. And for a fraction of a second, I swear I saw something behind his eyes. Sure, he seemed genuinely sorry and apologetic. But one glance at him was enough for me to know that there was more to it than he was letting on.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, hoping he would eventually crack and explain himself without me having to demand for answers like a lunatic. But, he just continued staring back at me like there was nothing else to discuss.

"What's going on?" I asked, trying my best to stay calm. "You can talk to me."

"Okay, I have something to tell you." He sighed, taking a seat on my bed.

"Go on." I encouraged, standing above him with my arms crossed.

"I...am moving to Italy." He mumbled.

The world stopped. The feeling of pins and needles that would normally ache through my body after an intense dance class somehow managed to make another appearance. My throat instantly went dry, and all I could do was blink at him confusedly.

"What?" I croaked.

"Please, don't be mad." He pleaded, finally looking up at me. "I got this incredible job offer, and...I don't know, Kaycee. It's such a big opportunity for me and I couldn't refuse."

I stared at him, waiting for him to burst out laughing and tell me he was kidding. I even braced myself to hit him after breathing a sigh of relief, but there seemed to be no trace of a lie. He seemed dead serious, and I wanted to throw up.