Aftermath (2)

Sean.

OhmygodKayceelikesme.

We didn't say anything on the rest of our walk, and we were pretty quiet during dinner. As much as we didn't want to make it seem obvious, I could tell that Kaycee's family kinda caught on and before they could question us about it, I excused myself after dinner, explaining that my stomach was feeling funny. I was sharing a room with Devon, but thankfully he hadn't witnessed my short hyperventilation.

When Kaycee directly asked me if I liked her four months ago, I was so embarrassed that she had it figured out from that stupid video that I lowkey wanted to delete. Although I made myself crystal clear with the way I felt about her, I was too nervous to ask her whether or not she felt the same way. Kaycee was discreet when it came to her emotions, and although I loved that mysterious side of her, it sucked that she did such a good job at masking her feelings. And when she FINALLY said it today, my dumbass couldn't even come up with a response. I WALKED AWAY FROM HER.

"Sean?" I heard Laura's voice accompanied by a gentle knock before she opened the door.

My instant reaction was to hold my stomach and scrunch my eyebrows together, not realizing how big of a doofus I looked like until Laura cracked a small smile.

"Your stomach doesn't hurt." She stated, sitting beside me on the bed.

"No, it does." I protested, grasping on to my stomach even harder as if that would convince her. "I think I had something earlier in-",

"Sean." She interrupted, placing her hand on mine. "There's no point in trying to convince me. I've known you too long for that."

I sighed, knowing I couldn't win with Laura. I couldn't say much because I didn't want to betray Kaycee or humiliate her in any way by ranting about her to her mom. I appreciated Laura's effort into making sure things were okay, but I honestly didn't know what to say.

"She'll come around, Sean. I promise." Laura broke the silence, providing me with some much needed assurance. I don't even know how she read my mind so well, but I could say that she always figured a way out to make me feel at home. To make me feel welcomed. She always told me I was a part of their family, and she did her very best at portraying the same.

With an encouraging squeeze of my arm, Laura motioned to the door and made her way out. And as Laura left, I saw her leaning against the wall. There she was at the door.

"Kaycee." I managed to say.

After confirming that Laura was nowhere near sight, Kaycee made her way in and stood in front of me with her arms crossed. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to stand up as well, but of course I was weak at the knees just by looking at her, and I couldn't bring myself to get up so I glued myself to the bed.

"I didn't mean to make things awkward or anything, Sean." She quietly said, glancing at the door every now and then to make sure no one heard her.

"Um, no, I know." I replied, my heart racing faster than ever.

"Is your stomach okay or was that an excuse?"

I scratched my head, refusing to look her in the eye. I chuckled nervously in response. "I'm okay."

Kaycee nodded and neither of us really knew what to say which resulted in Kaycee giving me one last smile before she also made her way out, quietly closing the door behind her.

I groaned loudly and collapsed on the bed, hoping that tomorrow would be better.

-xxx-
2 days later

We were leaving tonight and I was actually looking forward to it. As much as I enjoyed the gorgeous sunsets, the lake, barbecuing outside with Brad, and just the overall atmosphere, I felt sick to my stomach every time I set my eyes on Kaycee. It's not like we didn't talk since the other night- we did converse every now and then. But it was definitely awkward. I knew we needed to squash things by tomorrow because we were signed up to go to a class together, and I knew it just wasn't going to work if we didn't talk about it.

As we loaded our luggage into the trunk, the six of us made our way into the van. Brad was driving with Laura beside him on the passenger's seat. Kylie (who was sound asleep) and Devon were seated in the row behind them, which left Kaycee and I buckled up at the very back of the vehicle. I had my AirPods on, attempting to distract myself from everything that had been going on lately. I was doing relatively okay until Kaycee nudged my arm. I took my AirPods out and turned to look at her, hoping I wouldn't pass out or something.

"We need to talk." She stated, keeping her voice low.

"Um-",

"After we get home." She interrupted me, before I could question her.

I nodded awkwardly, and put my AirPods back on when she looked away. We had over an hour till we got home. I wasn't sure if I could wait till then, but I braced myself for another probable sleepless night.

————————

I hope you guys like this so far :)
Please feel free to leave some feedback, I'd really appreciate it!!