Please Please Go

"You're absolutely sure about the railing tour?" Louise picked up another hot chip and nibbled it. Thinking it would be a smashing idea that the girls went over to Lou's work instead. The hospital was a second home now that she had settled in, and she so wanted Nat to meet all the girls on shift that she hadn't introduced her to the visit prior. And the little boy that wanted to be a cowboy had been begging for another visit from Nat.

Lou smiled, remembering the boys' face, alive for once in his painful life with as near as happiness he could be. With tall tales and animated movements Nat was a natural at bringing the Australian bush alive right there in the bland ward full of cancer patients. Arms flapping like a cockatoo, cracking an imaginary whip like a stockman, drawing a dozen children a story in their minds to give them a little reprieve from needles, horrible pain and sadness. "I must again say, thanks very much for popping in to see Patrick and the other children, you were fabulous"

It had been amazingly difficult for Nat not to sob. Seeing the little faces so pale, children so quiet when they should be tearing about in back gardens, riding bicycles and just plain being at home with their parents and families. Managing to focus on the task Lou had set for her, allowed Nat to concentrate and breathe life into a myriad of activities she took for granted- living and breathing the bush and all the freedom it offered, all the animals she interacted with, all the beauty and noise of the thousand cockatoos that soared across blue skies in unison and the kookaburras that sat laughing on the clothesline, waking everyone up morning after morning. Nat immensely enjoyed entertaining the little tikes and seeing smiles run across their faces "It was truly an honour, Louise. Will any of them be able to go home for even an hour for Christmas? ..... And yes, I am absolutely positive I want to see the railing"

The wind had whipped up something shocking as the girls clung to each other scurrying down the street. Nat had given in and they now found themselves at the entryway of the hospital. St. Johns ambulance men and women rushed here and there, busy at the task at hand; Ferrying gravely ill patients to the emergency rooms inside.

The head nurse buzzed about commanding the chaos. A factory fire had multiple people with burns, cuts and trauma fractures. The place looked like a re-enactment of a war zone. Bandaged walking wounded, blood seeping through the layers of gauze, only added to the absolute horror of the scene. "Miss Frankston, I believe I could use you for an extra shift"

Lou had already helped a young man into a wheelchair and was about to retie a triangular bandage that had slipped on an older gentlemen's arm. She stared from Nat to Head Nurse Hardingham and back to Nat in a whirl of panic.

"Now would be an excellent time to move those bones of your's lass"

"But I have to- Nat is- ..." The fumbling words died a quick death on Lou's lip as the head nurse scowled at her indecision.

"It's fine Lou. Off you go, you wanted to get into the Emergency room, didn't you..."

Lou stepped closer. This wasn't at all what they had planned. Everything had turned to pot.

Nat lowered her voice "Off you go, I'll be right as rain I promise. I have me map and we wrote all the directions down at the café remember. If I get lost, I'll cooee one of those fancy cabbie blokes, no probs" Nat rubbed her cousin's shoulder, they were both grown-ups and both could get through the change of plans. Lou worried her lip, Nat only knowing her cousin mere days knew she had to push the girl to stop her indecision. Nat's Aussie booming bush voice rallied to the fore "I'll be fine, you'll see. Couple of streets- too easy cous. Not even one bloody snake in these parts either!" Nat then quietened and rubbed Lou's arm affectionately "Off you go, this is your big chance" Grinning wide, Nat took her very fashionable beanie and resettled it on her head. It wasn't an Akubra, but it was bloody warm on her noggin for the weather!

****

Oh lord, am I lost in the middle of the concrete jungle?

Directions and map turned one quarter about, then two, Nat scrunched the notepaper up then unfolded the lump to flatten it out on her thigh again.

Her fingers tingled.

She had never felt so cold but she wasn't a quitter. Oh no, Nat was a never say die kinda girl and a few wrong turns and a narrow lane would not addle her. Anyway, there was a glow in some windows at the next corner, a sure sign of yet another pub. She wasn't a regular drinker, but good old uncle Kevin had let her taste the local offerings. Warm beer and dark Guinness worked wonders on bringing a bit of warmth back into her, even if it was only for how long it took to buy and drink a pint.

Ten sets of eyes rounded on her as she shoved the beanie in her pocket and dragged uncle Kevin's black overcoat off. Both had done the trick in keeping the bitter winds at bay. A whisper of words settled over the room and a low ka-thump of a dart hit the triple which earned a rousing congratulation slaps on the throwers back. The follow-up to the back slaps was a whooping call for another round for the winner. Nat slipped onto a barstool nearest the roaring fireplace and began to rub the tingling from her fingers.

"What'll it be?"

"Arrr pint of your finest ale please mate"

"Excellent choice" The bartender was neither young nor old. He was about thirty, maybe thirty-five at a pinch and sat a beer with an excellent head on the bar in front of Nat "That'll be twelve pence"

A pile of sixpence, a few of pennies and some pound notes settled on the counter between them. Nat scowled at the heap. Being in the bush for so long meant she had no bother for money. If she happened to be in town, her father would pay or her mother would tally the amount and settle the bill with a cheque. And the different tenders were confusing even to a sane person!

"A shilling is around twelve pence love"

"Oh, right you are. Thanks, I get confused... a lot!"

"Not from around here, are you"

"Whatever gave you that idea!?"

"The broad accent and the suntan, mostly. I can't remember the last time I saw a suntan. Australian correct"

"Yep, spot on"

The banter continued, the fireplace warmed her toasty. A game of darts ensued between Nat and a portly pensioner with a hankering for belching, Nat lost by a ton. After explaining her reason for dropping in a dozen folk lent over the map and pointed out various locations. The tower bridge was there, Westminster Abbey ov'r yonder, Hyde Park was also duly noted but a railing, no such luck; That was, until the bartender wandered by with an armload of dirty glasses and took a gander at the list over Nat's right shoulder.

"That'll be two blocks north love. You were on the right track after all!"

Nat Beamed. She could do it. She was within feet of the spot those gorgeous men had stood. She just had to finish her quest. A cab would get her home safe and-

"Bloody Nora" Belching Dart man pointed out of the curtain-covered window "Be almost a half foot of snow out there! I best be getting home to the wife" He stood and fetched his coat, slipping arms in and tossing on a hat "Night all"

"Night Ted"

"It's snowing!? Really!?" Nat flipped out, this was perfect. Snow was finally falling; she would get a white Christmas after all.

"Best you hurry yourself to the cab rank instead of trekking through that lot luv"

Nat wasn't about to climb into a cab. NO way was she going to miss this- snow. She leaned over one of the old codgers with a missing tooth to see the snowflakes falling. "It's still coming down! I'm off thanks for all your help everyone"

"Get yourself- "Before the sentence was complete an eager, suitably delighted, Natalie disappeared out the door. She was down the step and taking her first footstep finally in... snow.