Selling Love and Buying Stars

Start from the beginning

"Are you crying?" he whispered in shock.

"No."

"Yeah, you are."

"No, I'm not!" she barked. Her rough tone echoed amongst the suburb.

Skylar exhaled in a slow breath, his features softening, and his head tilting in her direction. His sights traced along her face that tried so very heard to put up a brave front. A disheartened smile quirked his lips.

"Don't look at me like that," she grunted. She shielded her face with her palms, hoping to hide from his gaze.

"Like what?"

"Like... that," said she. "All caringly and shit."

Despite her protests, he only continued to look at her until her tiny fingers parted to peek at him, and she sighed once more. Her hands fell to her sides, losing the battle of trying to hide her broken expression.

"You're on probation," she whispered.

"And?"

"And, if you get into another fight with that asshole, Abel, you're gonna go to juvie or jail or something, and you're my best friend, and you're not allowed to leave me here in this stupid city, at this stupid high school, with all of these stupid people," she said. "You're the coolest, funniest, best thing that has ever happened to Cetus," she cried, "to me."

"Awe, B," he cooed. His big hand moved to wipe away a stray tear fluttering down her cheek.

She sniffled and bit her lip looking absolutely pitiful.

A faint smirk tugged at his lips. "Are we having a moment?"

"Shut up," she howled. Her small, ineffectual fists repeatedly swatted at him.

Unrestrained, uncontrollable laughter broke from his chest. The flame of the lighter died as he dropped it to cover his head from her hailing fists.

"You're such a dork," she giggled, giving him a light shove.

"I thought you said I was cool?" he grinned.

She peevishly rolled her eyes, but the smile curving her pink lips was not successfully hidden.

"Okay, seriously Sky, you need to stop getting in trouble, 'cause you're not allowed to leave me," she said. Her face reverted to a calm seriousness.

A rough sigh ambled passed Skylar's lips. He flopped onto his back, where the shingles sent frore shivers up and down his spine. In a gesture completely out of his character, he shut his eyes from the night sky above.