(16) Hotter than Jace

Start from the beginning

"Look out!" Clary screeches, grabbing the little girl, whilst I kick the man at his chest as hard as I physically could and watch as he stumbles with a grunt, before regaining his stability and facing us with a sneer.

"Clary and Camilla Fairchild" He growls, a leer overtaking his features as he looks us up and down, "Valentine will be pleased to meet you"

He quickly rushes forwards unexpectedly, and as I step to attack, Izzy's whip wraps around the man's wrist, and from the upper level Jace appears and throws a knife into his back, making the man fall to the ground, grunting in pain.

"Thanks for that" Clary exhales, a smile over coming her features at Jace, who merely smiles and winks in reply.

"Anytime"

I giggle lightly, catching Clary's attention and I wiggle my brows suggestively at her, making her roll her eyes and I can tell that she desperately wants to flick me off, but refrains from doing so because of the little girl clutching her waist sadly.

"Stay close" Izzy says, walking towards them, "It's safest if we stick together"

We all nod, Clary stopping momentarily to run a caring hand over the little girl's hair, a small smile etched on her face, "It's okay. I won't leave you alone, I promise" She says, soothingly and I smile, glad that we had come in time to save the poor girl.

We all walked onwards and into a room, which appeared to be Magnus's living room, and immediately my eyes fall on Magnus himself.

"Magnus" I say quietly and as he turns around, his eyes widen as the little girl runs forwards and he bends down to pull her into a tight hug, his eyes sad. "Go join the others sweetie, this is no place for a little girl" He says as he releases the girl and sadly watches as she swiftly rushes away, before turning his attention back to us.

"I heard what you did for Zoey" Magnus says, his eyes shining with gratitude as he steps closer" You risked your lives for a small warlock girl"

I laugh lightly, rolling my eyes, "Well we weren't just going to leave her, she's a kid, defenceless. Besides, it felt great hurting the bastard who planned to hurt a little girl." I state shrugging, and Magnus smiles, chuckling lightly.

"She was just a girl" Clary adds with a sorrowful head shake, "She was in trouble. We had no choice"

"You always have a choice," Magnus assures "You two aren't like other shadow hunters, most protect Downworlders as a duty, whereas the two of you did it from what was inside your hearts." He says, a smile etched on his face and I smile back, not wanting to boast about something that any decent person would do.

"You're more like your mother than you know"

I glance at Clary and smile, swallowing down the tightness in my throat at the mention of my mother, and merely take the time to enjoy that fact that we're doing what's right.

And I know my mother would be proud.

"Magnus please" Clary says, stepping forwards pleadingly "You can't hide from this battle. Valentine found you once, he will find you again. We need to work together. Help us"

Magnus sighs, nodding to us "I can summon the demon but you must make the demand. Now, I warn you, retrieving your memories will not be easy" He explains, his eyes hard and narrow as he stoically imprints the danger of the situation.

Clary and I both determinedly nod, "We will do whatever we have to do" I say, my voice firm and authoritative, and despite the anxiety in my chest, I knew that we had no choice but to.

"Alright" Magnus states, turning to everyone "But the lairs been compromised. Everyone, hold on tight, we're about to move"

Within a second Magnus's hands begin to glow a bright blue and suddenly the room is shaking, and we all begin to wobble and before I have a chance to grab anything, the room layout has changed and the ground is still shaking.