One More Time

"Look at you!" Matthias smiled as she took in the sight of Meg's tiny frame adorned in a light blue jumpsuit. "We ready?"

"What about Ben and Laura?" Meg asked.

"Persephone sent an escort to fetch Laura, she and Ben will be on one of the first Aegis' off the Arc," Matthias confirmed, pleased that Meg had a family to think about, whether they were related or not.

Matthias hadn't gotten around to declarations of lasting love or children, and in her mid-forties, it seemed like a fool's errand to start looking now. She did understand, however, the importance of having someone worth fighting for. Those who fought for themselves, or glory, always wound up disappointed, or dead.

Justin took Meg under his wing, as she wasn't at all familiar with the Seafarer side of negative-six. Tinkers weren't usually found over here as the Arc's weapons and ships were kept top-secret.

Meg didn't know where to look first. First, the militaristic ship bay was immense. On either side of a short runway, were bias-cut walls of glass thicker than a man's body, and behind that hung dozens of ships. The bullish crafts were midnight black and cylindrical in the middle with bulbous windows and red fins poking out on all sides. The noses of the vehicles came to a dangerous point, like a spear readied for battle. Meg shivered inside her jumpsuit at the sight.

All around them, Seafarers were jogging the metal floor. Their footsteps clanked unpleasantly, hammering on her eardrums and bouncing off the angles of the cavernous hall. Meg had seen the occasional Seafarer in the Harmony building, but Sea Monkeys, like Tinkers, preferred to remain hidden. Most citizens didn't know that several floors of the Harmony building were dedicated Seafarer barracks throughout the year. This way, the citizens weren't reminded that there was very real danger just beyond Coeuss' protective seismic barrier.

Just like the Legionnaires, Seafarers had stripes and patches sewn into their uniforms to indicate their rank. Meg had no idea what those markings meant, but she kept a close eye on Justin and the others to avoid making an embarrassing faux pas. In order for this mission to work, and to keep her fragile balance atop the wave of false-confidence she was riding, she needed the Seafarer's acceptance.

"Is this the one we've been hearing so much about?" A deep baritone woofed from behind them.

Justin as well as the two other Seafarers named Katherine and Dave, turned on their heels to salute. The faces went from friendly to completely blank, tilted just enough to show their respect for the looming presence headed their way.

A man who could have been Big Joe's slightly smaller brother marched and came to a clipped halt a few feet from Meg. With deep mocha skin and bright brown eyes (that held the hint of a twinkle), he was every bit as handsome as he was huge. Massive bands of swollen muscle wrapped around his shoulders, chest, and arms, making him look as if he ate, breathed, and sweat masculinity.

"At ease." He told the Sea Monkeys, who relaxed slightly. "Meg? I want to shake your hand."

Meg liked the man immediately and couldn't help the wide smile that broke across her face. He stuck out a gigantic paw to clasp hers, almost crushing it as he pumped her arm up and down.

"Fleet Admiral Stevens." He informed her. "But you can call me Jamaal. After Megan told me about you, I had to meet you for myself."

"Megan?" Meg repeated at the unfamiliar name.

"Captain Matthias." Justin supplied in a whisper.

"Oh!" Meg exclaimed, unsure of what else to say.

"Have you showed her the pod she will be using?" Admiral Stevens asked the Seafarers.

"Not yet, we need to get her fitted for a wetsuit first," Justin replied, his voice much more formal than when he spoke to Meg.