The World I Know

The heavenly smell of fresh coffee grounds filled Olivia's apartment, coaxing her eyes open at eight on the dot. 

She stretched her appealingly proportional limbs and blinked the sleep out of her eyes while she removing her satin sleeping mask. She didn't need to be in the control center for another four hours, just enough time for her to complete a rigorous round of calisthenics, take a lengthy shower, and get ready for the day.

Olivia's automated blinds would roll up in a few minutes, letting in the light and triggering the heat to blast. She couldn't stand a cold floor, so Olivia would wait until things were just right.

Every comfort, every convenience, had been accounted for on the Arc Cities and were accessible to all. Well, those who mattered anyway.

Because of Arturo's flawless design, mankind only need ask and Coeuss would provide, but there was rarely a need to make requests as its progressive learning evaluated all data inputs, predicting their needs and habits before they even knew themselves.

Olivia's sole purpose was the survival of humanity, despite all previous efforts to bring about its own extinction. She and a handful of the brightest minds handpicked by Arturo himself worked to preclude the extinction so many other species had faced.

Soon, Olivia would be at the helm of their capitol several floors below ocean-level, quietly monitoring to preserve the harmony Arc City One's denizens deserved.

As soon as her floor was an acceptable temperature, she slid her feet down, walking with the grace she so effortlessly embodied toward the kitchen. The flaps of her silk pajamas fluttered against her smooth, peachy skin, a heavenly reminder of the rewards that winning the genetic lottery afforded.

Her morning routine was impeccably timed to allow for these moments of tranquil reflection, and Olivia lavishly stretched out her first sip of coffee accordingly. Tipping her nose over the rim to inhale the smooth aroma, she parted her bow-shaped lips. Its dark amber coated her throat on the way down, bringing with it a rush of satisfaction and a contented sigh.

From her top floor apartment, she could see the sprawl of the city. Its lush green parks glowed in the morning light with tiny bodies beginning filtering out of their buildings on the way to their daily functions.

It was only a matter of time until Olivia would ascend to her rightful position on the Quorum. She relished the knowledge that she would be able to swap her underground console for a seat at Persephone's table. 

Olivia was born to lead. Once her aging mentor, Arturo, passed away, leaving the surviving souls of this Earth without their founding father, she would be the nurturing mother they required.

"Coeuss, play Richter, Conciertos de Brandenburg at volume level four." Olivia smiled at her request as she liked to keep Coeuss guessing.

"Of course, would you like me to bring up your treadmill?" Coeuss cooed back in its pleasant digital monotone.

"Yes." She replied already on her way to change into aerobic wear.

While Olivia busied herself, a rectangular panel in the hardwood of her living room retracted into itself, pushing a belted platform through the floor. 

Her run would last exactly forty-five minutes at varying speeds and inclines to target major muscle groups for optimal performance. As her cool-down began, the rainfall shower in her bathroom would begin to steam the glass stall.

The hot air and pattering water leeched brackish sweat from her skin, clearing out her pores and licking her body clean.

Next, Olivia air-dried in her expansive tiled bathroom while lathering her skin with lanolin and lavender. Fernando loved the faint hint of botanicals on her neck, which is why she would so casually brush past him this morning while they went about their work.