Up Around The Bend

"We're close!" Harrison called to the back of his ship.

He needn't have shouted, as the others could feel the hum of the underwater seismic cannons on Arc City Two. Each Arc City used this defense to keep any monsters (and unknown outsiders) at a safe distance.

Arturo and Olivia were nestled on the bench behind the table, while Midge and Meg had found seats on the floor.

"Can we make contact?" Arturo asked over the droning din.

"We can try," Harrison answered, his brow disappearing into his hairline at this brazen move. "You don't want to play it cool for this one old man?"

"I believe we are past being coy at this point," Arturo replied, his smile remorseful.

Arturo knew that a simple yes or no wasn't the answer he was looking for. Whether they stepped foot on Arc City Two or not, they had crossed a threshold.

Meg studied his face from her perch on Olivia's bunk, trying to decipher the hint of sadness in the glaze of his eyes.

"Harrison is right, he should make contact as the captain of this vessel," Olivia spoke up to everyone's surprise. "I don't think it's wise to verify that Arturo is aboard this ship."

"At this point, the secret is most likely out." Arturo shrugged. "Whoever is on Arc City Two is probably expecting us."

Midge's arms tingled with anticipation. Her whole life she'd dreamed of adventures like this. She wasn't much of a fighter, as she couldn't move very fast, and she wasn't well versed in defensive tactics, but the excitement of the unknown was visceral.

Meg cradled her arm and concentrated her eyes on Harrison's expressions. His square jaw clicked at Arturo's answer while an entire inner monologue flashed behind his ochre eyes.

Big Joe watched his old friend, measuring how close Harrison was to losing his cool. Harrison was breaking a personal pact by even approaching Arc City Two, let alone trying to go on board. It wasn't often that Harrison let emotions override a possible payday.

"Why do I feel like there's something you're not telling me?" Harrison said, his eyes narrowing dangerously at Arturo.

"I have told you everything I know," Arturo replied without missing a beat.

"Bullshit." Harrison spat back, leaning forward in his chair to challenge and rubbing the scruff on his chin. "There's something going on here, and I need to know what it is."

"I thought you didn't care as long as you got paid." Olivia snapped, feeling defensive of her mentor.

"I care sweet cheeks," Harrison slowly swiveled his head in Olivia's direction to make sure their eyes locked, "because I'm not the kind of guy who gets caught with a knife in a gunfight."

"We don't know exactly what happened on Arc City Two." Arturo broke in, unwilling to let Olivia fight his battles. "Meg here noticed something wrong two days ago."

"Something?" Big Joe asked, looking to Meg for answers.

"She saw-" Olivia began.

"Let Meg explain," Arturo suggested gently.

Meg shrank into herself when all eyes fell on her. She swallowed a gulp of saliva as her mouth flooded with the stuff.

"We all can see the video feeds from the other Arcs." Meg began carefully, very aware that she was minus an arm for signing. "I saw that Arc City Two was playing old footage. Arturo believes that it was to distract us from whatever happened on the Arc."