Chapter Eighteen

John sat in 221B Baker St. trying to concentrate on the newspaper, with failure. Eventually he gave up and turned on the telly. There wasn't anything interesting on, which made it harder for John to distract himself. Sherlock had left a little more then an hour ago and he couldn't think of anything else.

Obviously Sherlock had gone to see Jake that morning, why else wouldn't he have told John where he was going, but then he came back so hastened, and got a bag out of his room.

'Why did he get a bloody bag out of his bedroom! 'John couldn't shake the nauseas feeling he had that it could have been an overnight bag. He hated that he was so unraveled by this, he could have said the word and Sherlock could have been his, but he did the right thing because that is what John Watson does, the right thing.

For the next several hours John and Sherlock both tried to keep there mind from wandering. John was trying not to think about Sherlock and Sherlock was trying to remain focused on Jake's flat.

Nothing was going on with the flat or Jake, absolutely zero activity. Sherlock had added 3 more patches to his arm but they weren't helping focus, as he had hoped. He need something stronger.

"I told John I was clean, I have to stay that way." he said allowed to himself. "But these bloody patches arn't working!

Around 10 pm he realized that there was something stronger he could have, even if it wasn't what he actually wanted. He picked up his phone and sent a text.

John was sitting, unsuccessfully trying not to stare at the clock and wonder what Sherlock was doing, when his phone pinged.

"Can you pick me up some cigarettes. Please. -SH"

"I thought you were trying to quit, Sherlock."

"I was but now I need them. -SH"

"Fine. Where are you."

"You know where Jake's flat is, yes? -SH"

John felt his heart drop into his stomach, so it was an overnight bag! But after only a few seconds the sick feeling he had was replaced with anger.

"Do you really have the nerve to ask me to come to your boyfriend's flat to give you cigarettes! This is low even for you! Can you not interrupt your booty call long enough to run to the store yourself ?!?!"

"John, I'm outside Jake's apartment, staking it out. I can't leave in case something happens. -SH"

John rolled his eyes 'Great now I look like a jealous idiot.'

"ll bring you what you need."

"John, you know he doesn't have to be my boyfriend. -SH"

"He is the best chance you have at getting Morarity. Yes he does."

John put down his phone, grabbed some of Sherlock's nicotine patches and left the flat. At least his nausea was gone now. It had just started to rain when John located the car Sherlock was in (rather quickly since he knew Mycroft's cars all to well). He knocked on the window and Sherlock opened the door and through everything on the seat on to the ground.

"Finally, I'm jonesing" Sherlock said as John got into the dark car. "Where are they?"

John's hair was wet and muffled and his jacket was damp as he handed Sherlock the patches. He looked at them laughed and threw them in the back of the car,

"No seriously John where are my cigarettes?"

"Your trying to quit, so I brought these instead."

Sherlock put his face in his hands "I already had patches John I need a cigarette, how the bloody hell am I supposed to focus now!" He shouted.

"Well sorry I'm concerned about your health, you know I am a doctor!" John shouted back.

"You didn't answer the question John! How do you suppose I concentrate if all I have is patches and they're not working!!" Sherlock whispered angrily.

"Your the bloody genius, you figure it out!" As much as John hated fighting with Sherlock it felt good to have some normality back with his friend, but then Sherlock leaned over and John felt his lips against his.

Sherlock was demanding but gentle, and his hand slid up John's neck and into his wet hair and just as John had completely melted into his friend's lips Sherlock pulled away, and slammed back in his seat sighing and leaving John to catch himself in the middle of the car.

"Well that didn't work I'm even more distracted now then I was before!" Sherlock burst out. John stared at Sherlock and for a few seconds the only sound was the rain on the windshield. John sat back in his seat and to Sherlock's surprise, stared laughing. Then even more to Sherlock's surprise he started laughing to. He smiled as he felt his blogger's finger intertwine with his and the both just sat there laughing.

The rain had started to come down harder so John decided to stay with Sherlock and help with the stakeout. So far it was still extremely uneventful (in terms of Jake and Morarity).

Sherlock had taken out his binoculars and climbed into the back seat, in hopes to get a better look inside Jake's windows. About an hour later John started yawning and shuffling around in his seat "Sherlock do you mind if I come back there with you, I can't get comfortable up here."

"Not at all John" said Sherlock who was leaning against the door with one leg stretched across the backseat and the other on the floor next to him. John climbed in the back and sat next to Sherlock foot at the door opposite him, facing front and yawning again.

"Tired?" asked Sherlock.

"Just a bit, I'll be fine".

"You should go to sleep."

"Well your deducing skills must be faulting because if you haven't noticed we are in a car."

Sherlock scowled at John. "Obviously I know that John, but what does that matter?"

"Well there aren't really any comfortable chairs or anywhere for me to lie down."

A small grin twitched on one side of Sherlock's face and he reached over and pulled John so that he was laying down next to Sherlock's leg with his head on the detective's chest. Sherlock put down the binoculars since he could still see the door just fine, and wrapped his arms around John's waist and rested his chin on top of John's head.

John sighed and tried to get up but was held in place by Sherlock's arms.

"Sherlock, we can't keep doing this."

"Why not?"

"You know why."

"Two nights ago you told me you loved me, and those few minutes were the best in my life John."

Sherlock nestled into the crook between John's neck and shoulder.

"Sherlock" John sighed.

The detective started leaving small kisses on John's shoulder. John's hand went behind him into Sherlock's hair.

"Sherlock, everything I said on your birthday was true, including that we can't be together."

Sherlock continued to lightly peck John's shoulder and began to rub the back if his hand. John looked up about to protest when he saw movement outside Jake's flat.

"Sherlock" John said and was ignored.

"Sherlock!" John said with a little more urgency in his voice, but was still ignored.

"SHERLOCK!" John said yanking on Sherlock's hair as hard as he could.

"Ow!" Sherlock's head jolted up. "What the bl-"

"Sherlock, Jakes leaving!" John exclaimed.

Sherlock jumped out from behind John and into the driver's seat. "John get out."

"What! No!"

"John he doesn't have the briefcase take the lock picking set, get out and find it! I'm going to follow him."

John grabbed the set, got out of the car into the pouring rain and Sherlock sped away.