CHAPTER THREE

Start bij het begin

I stand there, dumbfounded.

"Why do you never think rationally about what you do!? One day you might turn up dead or injured because of your thoughtless actions!"

"I wouldn't have to worry about getting caught if we didn't live here," I mutter under my breath.

"What'd you say?"

"I said that if we went to their side you wouldn't have to worry about me getting caught or killed!" I shout, a little louder than I intended.

"Why won't you just give that up already!? It's never going to happen! We can't leave here and you know that!"

"But mom did! She left and made it there! She probably is living her best life, away from all this utopian bullshit!"

He stops himself from saying something else, taking a breath before he parts his lips to force out words.

"So that's what this is about? You want to leave, because of mom?" He pauses again, "You really think that after all these years, she'll welcome you with open arms? She left us Madelynn, all of us! Becca wasn't even one yet when she ran! She left us all behind selfishly, and you want to go back to her?!"

"I don't want to do it just for her! I want to leave so we all can have a better life, away from the hell and wrath Dad always gives us!" My blood is boiling, and his face is bright red.

"What's going on?" A small, meek voice says through the doorway. Little auburn curls appear from around the corner, revealing a small body.

"Nothing, Rebecca," Quinn says, pushing past me but not forgetting to shove his shoulder forcefully into my arm. He strides toward her, and kneels down to her height. He grabs her hands in his, caressing her palms sweetly.

"Dad is going to be home soon, do you want to help me make dinner?" Quinn asks, his entire tone shifted.

"Yeah!" She bounces, her curls falling behind her shoulders. Quinn takes her hand and leads her into the kitchen.

I watch with my arms crossed as they disappear around the corner, her innocent little laugh dissipating as I'm now left in silence.

I can't stand to stay here, I can't stand seeing her grow up in a city where people are so restricted. Young children should be allowed to imagine their own fantasies and draw up their own games, and castles, and play freely with others, not forced to learn about useless prejudices of broken people. It's all worthless propaganda used to brainwash a society into willing submission. It works.

I want to give her a better life, a better environment to grow up in where she can be protected from evil. I want her to know our mother, I want her to have a relationship just like the one Quinn and I had with her before she left. I couldn't stay mad at her forever for leaving, because I wanted to do the same thing. But I wanted to do it with her. That's what Quinn doesn't see, and I don't know what I can do to make him see differently.

I hear a certain set of keys rattle as they are placed in the keyhole, and my neck swiftly turns back to see the door knob twisting. My heart skips a beat, leaping in fear and my breaths are cut short for a moment. The door opens and he steps in, his pristine black dress shoes squeaking as he steps onto the wood floor.