7. Secrets and Vampires

Start from the beginning

  "No, really," he doesn't even hesitate to consider my statement.

  Without asking he leads me into the kitchen where I take a seat at the table while he goes to the fridge to start pulling out leftovers. Zeke takes after his mom in a lot of ways, probably because she has always been there for him. Not that his dad isn't, on the contrary his dad would do anything for Zeke, but he works a lot. His mom on the other hand, is in practically every other memory growing up with Zeke. One thing she really passed down to him is how to be a great host. Not that I am usually looked at as a guest, but still, when I am here food and drink is always offered. Zeke tends to skip that step when he knows I haven't eaten, instead he will just fix something up and set it in front of me.

  "No really" I throw his words back at him. His eyes dart up to me, the plate of food momentarily forgotten.

  "And no one died?" He teases, but I can see from the look on his face that he is proud of me.

  Deciding his comment does not deserve a response I just stick my tongue out at him instead, causing him to laugh at me as always. He shakes his head as he places the plate in the microwave to heat up. "I honestly thought you scared him away."

  "Why?"

  "Well he randomly said he couldn't go get coffee with us anymore. Just ran off with no real explanation," he sets the plate in front of me and my stomach grumbles at the sight of the meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

  "Yea, he came and found me." I say quickly as I dig in.

  "I guess makes sense now." Zeke nods as he speaks, taking a seat across from me. "Really sucks though. Because you both ran off Elena and Stefan decided to bail as well."

  "Oh I'm sorry, didn't mean to ruin the night"

  "Eh, it's OK," he pauses to make a dramatic pose with his hand to his head "I just sat here, all on my lonesome," he sighs and makes puppy dog eyes "all night!" I exaggerate my eye roll in response. He steals a bite of my meatloaf, his trauma completely forgotten.

  "So what did those two end up doing?" I change the subject.

  "Who knows." He pauses to steal another bite. "You notice they are actually really secretive? Like today, they whisper something to each other about needing to start looking or something, and then they are gone"

  His words bring my back to the day at the coffee shop. They had said something very similar then as well, having to get to work or something? I am usually not overly nosy about things, but I have to admit my curiosity is piqued.

  "So what did you two do together anyways" he brings the subject back around to Leo and I. Unsure really what to say I simply shrug and stand to take care of my dishes. "Oh no you can't just leave me hanging!" he bounces after me. I try to ignore him and just focus on my task at hand. "Come on Nereza!"

  I groan and shrug again but his nagging is relentless, finally I tell him simply "We just talked"

  "Talked?" he raises an eyebrow at me.

  "Talked" I confirm drying the dish and putting it away.

  "Mhmm, talked" he steps in front of me wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

  "No. We just talked" I throw the drying rag at him, maybe that will shut him up.

  "Mhmm," he crosses his arms eyeing me. "It would be OK for you to like him you know"

  I groan again, even more exaggerated this time as I walk past him to his room and flop back onto his bed. I close my eyes feeling my tiredness from the day crash into me.