15. Vampires and Bribes

"Well, what about garlic?" Zeke whines as he follows close behind me, trying his best to keep up. 

  I am wound tight, I have to go. I know Zeke wants me to stop so we can talk, but my skin crawls at the idea of sitting still. Trying to focus on school after the last few days has proven to be impossible. I truly tried my best to ignore the slow passing of time, but that last class just felt like torture. I don't think I have ever moved so quickly at the sound of that bell.  

"I don't know," I sigh, my annoyance growing with every question he shoots at me, "someone interrupted me before I got a chance to ask!" I look at him out of the side of my eye as I make a little dig at him.

"You went outside!" he shouts exasperated. "I didn't know if he was mind controlling you! Can they even do that?" he lowers his voice trying to keep our conversation just between us, in this crowded hallway that is turning out to be a bit of a challenge.

  I suppose my bolting threw the crowd isn't helping.

  "I don't know!" I groan, glaring at a girl dressed in a pastel pink poodle skirt who dares to step in my path.

  With everything that has been going on I forgot all about spirit week. Now that the halls are filled with people ready for a sock hop, I wish I could forget all over again.

  "Maybe I would know more if you hadn't cut it short!"

  "Well if you weren't being controlled, then why did you lean outside?" He snaps.

  I flush as his words wash over me. Why did I lean out to Damon? I was worried, because I cared whether he got hurt or not. But why? Why does my heart start dancing even just thinking about how close to him I was? Unable to talk about any of this out loud I quickly change the subject. I exaggerate my look of annoyance at the blue and white sagging balloons that decorate the walls.

  "Are we really going to the football game on Friday?" I groan as I playfully hit the balloon, its rubbery sound exclamating my annoyance.

  "Well of course we are!" Leo's sudden voice makes me jump.

  Where did he come from? How much did he hear?

  "Yes!" Zeke smiles at him with wide eyes, failing to hide his surprise as well. Sliding a look to me I can see his mind changing gears. "We did say we would go. In fact, why are you not dressed up?"

  "Seriously?" I stare dryly at him as I finally come to a stop.

  "I think you could pull off the whole Sandy Olsson look" Leo smiles as he looks intensely at me.

  A shiver runs through me and I suddenly feel uncomfortable in my skin.

  "Before or after the introduction to leather?" Zeke questions doubtfully, raising an eyebrow at him.

  "Oh definitely after. Just imagine that skin tight black outfit. Would be a bombshell" Leo answers.

  Zeke eyes me up and down as well, making me shift uncomfortably as a blush creeps in.

"I don't know," Zeke shrugs, "I think I'd rather see her twirling in a poodle skirt" he laughs at whatever evil image his mind creates.

"Ok guys!" I fold my arms over my chest, sick of being talked about like I am not even here. "Both of you need to stop being weird" The bell interrupts my scolding, and I turn my glare up at the invisible sound waves.

  "Way to go Leo, running late!" Zeke teases as he makes a tsk tsk motion with his fingers.

  "Yea, I got to run. I will see ya at lunch" He turns to leave but hesitates. "Ugh on second thought, I volunteered to help set up for the pep rally"