20. Twirling with Vampires

My heart tightens as the pulsing music vibrates through my body, and we haven't even made it into the gym yet! I force my feet to push onward, even as everything in me wants to turn and escape. The school is dark, with special lighting set in order to create the perfect mood for a party. If you ask me, It does nothing but create haunting shadows in the corners.

  The school entrance has been transformed from its usual cold unwelcoming corridor into a balloon and streamer filled passage that leads to an unknown world of loud music and laughter. Everything should be exciting and enticing me onward, but the dark room with its flashing multicolored lights only puts me at unease.

  With a shaky breath I press through the gyms entrance, not wanting to appear as nervous as I really am. It is warm, and the sudden lack of air and space makes my head spin. There are people everywhere, either dancing in the center where the DJ is set up or scattered in groups filling the room. I have to focus on keeping my breathing even.

  Honestly, I do not know if it is my sudden surrounding that is making my heart flutter so, or if it is Damon's arm casually draped around my waist. He rubs his thumb back and forth on my hip, in what I am sure is supposed to be a comforting gesture, but really all it does is make my stomach quiver.

  "Finally!" Zeke bellows as he darts toward us, being quickly followed by the rest of our friends.

   Before I can even respond he snatches up my arms and pulls me from Damon's grasp. Instantly I feel cold without his touch and my lip pouts ever so slightly before I am able to stop myself.

  "We have been waiting forever!" Zeke whines as he spins me in a circle, making me burst out laughing.

  "So dramatic!" I roll my eyes at him as I allow myself to be spun around once more. "We were only a minute behind you" I laugh again as I pull away, not wanting to get dizzy and tip over in these heels.

  In truth, we did take a bit longer to get here than the others. Not like we snuck off somewhere or anything scandalous of the sort! It just took me a bit to muster the courage to actually walk in here. Damon, surprisingly, was very sweet about the whole thing. Driving over here he did most of the talking, telling me about the marvelous balls he attended back in his day. Part of me appreciated him filling the silence, another part of me panicked at the realization that he definitely has had more experience with this whole dance thing than I.

  Once we arrived he didn't mention or mock how I awkwardly stood my ground outside of his car. After allowing me time to fidget and give myself an adequate mental pep talk he gently placed his hand on my lower back and led me inside.

  "Come on guys, lets dance!" Elena motions us further into the chaos, but my stomach sinks at the idea.

  "Oh I don't-" I start but am interrupted.

  "The whole point is to dance!" Zeke argues my refusal before I even got a chance to really make it.

  "And here I was thinking the whole point was to have fun." I challenge, my hand on my hips and an eyebrow raised in his direction.

  "But dancing is fun!" Leo points out, making his stand on the argument.

  "Maybe for you." I grumble softly to myself.

  "But Reza, you're supposed to be my dance partner!" Zeke whines and stomps his foot in a temper tantrum.

  Quickly I scan the room, desperate for a way out. Sure, I could point out that I hadn't come to the dance with him and therefore was not his designated dance partner, but that seemed a bit harsh.