13. Vampires and Research

-------------------Damon's POV-------------------

  Hunger, all I dare to focus on is feed the void that consumes me. The blood of many, the succulent substance that brings life now fills my mouth and runs down my chin. Don't dare think about anything but this moment, the mantra that I repeat whenever my mind begins to wonder.

  Another shot, the burn of the alcohol collides with the smoothness of the blood. Music pounds around me, I can feel it vibrating through the rickety floor boards of our current residence. The squeal of laughter penetrates the air as a blond runs by me, being chased by a taller brunette.

  Woman, I have lost count of how many, lounge around in differing states of undress. Many are dancing, some are passed out, all have neat little bite marks trailing over their bodies. I crave them, no I crave her, but they will do.

  "Come here baby" A giggling woman about half my height rubs her hand down my bare chest.

  Her warm fingers sending shivers over my cold skin. Where did my shirt go? Doesn't matter, lost it at some point in my alcohol induced haze. I reach for her, pull her close to me. Her moan of appreciation egging me on. I knot my fingers in her curly black hair, crunchy from too much product, and force her head to the side. Her bare, smooth neck inviting me to take what I need. Wrapping an arm around her frail body I lift her with ease. She eagerly wraps her legs around my waist, clinging to me like I am the most important thing in her life.

  Another time I may have been more appreciative of her curves. The way her ass feels in my hand as I hold her to me. How her breasts, only held in by a thin piece of lace, feels pressed again my chest. Now though, it is nothing but a fleeting thought. I sink my fangs into her skin, and she moans loudly in pleasure. Her hands running through my hair, pulling me harder to her as I drink.

  My mind going blank as the first drops of her blood mingle with my tongue. Then Nereza's eyes, terrified and wet with tears, flashes across my mind. No, none of that. Just this moment. I bite down harder, she gasps and clings to me, as I concentrate on just the taste of her.

  "Damon!" The unwanted cry invades my mind.

  Reluctantly I remove my fangs from the girls neck and turn to the intruder. My head tilts to the side as I stare emotionlessly at the distraught Elena. She storms threw the front door, her head whipping back and forth as she takes in the chaos that awaited her. She removes her purse from over one shoulder and throws it onto the table beside the door, not even noticing as she misses and it tumbles to the floor. Her mouth hangs open in disbelief, shaking her head no as if that could make this all just a bad dream. Maybe this is. Maybe it's nothing but a nightmare I am stuck living over and over again.

 The woman in my arms groans unsatisfied with my lack of attention, reminding me that this is the sad reality of our world.

  "What are you thinking?" Elena's shrill voice screams over the music.

  She doesn't have to yell, I would be able to hear her just fine even if she whispered. With this much blood in my system every one of my senses are heightened. I feel invincible, I feel alive!

  Stefan walks just half a step behind her, his eyes set on me. He doesn't get distracted, even as a hot little number tries to get him to dance. He cuts through it all to get to me. His jaw set, anger blazing within him, he is ready for a fight. Why must we always fight?

  I lessen my grip on the girl, her legs slowly releasing their hold on me as she slides to the floor. She pouts, feeling forgotten, which she is. I turn my back to her and take a step towards them, and smile.