30. Vampires and Rude Awakenings

I jerk awake, my mind reeling as splitting pain courses through my body. Everything aches, and the hard surface below me does little to comfort my sore muscles. I try to open my eyes, but everything spins before me in a terrifying blur. My stomach rolls, and I squeeze my lids together in attempt to block out the dizziness. It is no use however, and I fight against the nausea that proceeds to consume me.

  The horrifying thought of becoming sick made all the more frightening as I am made aware of a foreign material in my mouth. My heart sinks as my tongue desperately pushes against the gag, but to no avail. A sharp pain makes me cringe, my lip split open as I struggled against the fabric. The tingling sensation of blood slowly dripping down my lip is almost soothing to my cracked skin. Everything is so dry, any saliva I had long since dried up.

  What is happening? Why can't I remember where I am?

  Panic clouds my thoughts as I try to move, only to find that I am restrained. Rope digs into my wrists that are tied behind my back. My ankles too are bound, but at least my pants protect me from the harsh bite of the ropes. I try to struggle against my constraints, but they don't even show a hint of budging. Tears flood my eyes as I once again curse my weak body.

  This isn't right, none of this is right! I have to get out of here, but how? God, why do I have to be so useless!

  No, this isn't helpful.

  I force myself to breathe slowly through my nose, resisting the urge to cry. If I give into tears now, then my nose will start to run. If that happens, I will have to add breathing to my list of problems. Okay, I just need to calm down.

  I freeze as I realize there are voices not far from me, how long have they been here? Any calm I was grasping for evaporates as my mind scrambles to make sense of the situation. Could they be someone who might help? Should I try to call out to them? No, they are angry, shouting to one another. They don't sound as if they are anyone I should be drawing near me. If anything, they might be the ones who brought me here.

  But why me? And where is here?

  I peek through my half closed eyelids, finding small relief when the world doesn't spin around me this time. I hold my breath, expecting the worst, and force myself to look around. At first, I see nothing but brown. The wood gives off a shine in front of me as I teeter on the edge of what is probably a bench. Not finding anything useful in that I twist to look around me, desperate to find something more. My brows furrow in confusion as I take in colorful windows, pictures that come alive with the rising sun.

  My eyes widen more as I suddenly realize where I am, a fresh surge of energy giving me hope. Dad and I may not have been the strictest of church goers, but I know this place, I know the exits! Now, I only need to figure out how to sneak out of here.

  A loud smack disrupts my thoughts, making my blood run cold. One of the people near me has struck the other person. If they are already angry with each other, what does that mean for me?

  "I tried!" exclaims a surprised voice.

  I tense, really focusing for the first time on the two talking. I know that voice, why do I know that voice?

  "And you failed," a shrill woman's voice snaps back, "just as you have done since the beginning!"

  "But I got the girl!" The heart wrenching familiar deep voice argues.

  My blood runs cold, my mind struggling to comprehend his words. The girl? Is that me? What do they want?

  "What good does that do with only half?" the woman shrieks, making me jump from her intensity.