19. Vampires and Photographs

"Okay, I'll see you in like an hour!" I excitedly hang up the phone as I jog up the front stairs to my home.

  Stopping at the door I cringe momentarily before pushing through. I had told Dad I would be home early, but that didn't really work out too well. I ended up sleeping in way later than I had expected, I suppose that shouldn't have been so surprising after such an eventful day.

  Still, my heart sank a bit when I realized it was already after 11 by the time I crawled out of bed. If it hadn't been for Zeke's mom, it would have undoubtedly been even later! She finally decided enough was enough and came barging in singing some sort of strange wake up song. It is definitely clear to see where Zeke gets all his weirdness from.

  Zeke was less than ambitious to give up his claim on sleep, however his mom was relentless. After threatening to withhold her grilled cheese from him, Zeke finally gave under the pressure. Still, he complained the entire time she was preparing the meal that he could be asleep for this part of the process. She just rolled her eyes at him and peppered me with questions about the upcoming dance. Most importantly she wanted to know when I expected to be ready, don't want to be late for the big night and all. Upon hearing that I actually had a different ride, her eyes bulged for a millisecond before she was able to recover.

  I had no intention of filling her in on the details of where the said ride was coming from, Zeke on the other hand jumped at the chance. Even at the mere suggestion that I had a date Zeke started gossiping, as if I wasn't even there. I swear, sometimes he is worse than a teenage girl! Upon hearing all the dirt, all few sentences of it, she tapped her finger on the counter and eyed me consideringly. She looked a little disappointed, I think some part of her always expected Zeke and I to get together. Still, after just a moments hesitation she smiled and said she was happy for me. Even sent her best wishes as I left to go get ready.

  As chance would have it my phone started ringing the moment I stepped out their front door. Elena instantly plunged into conversation, way to excited for the makeover she was planning. Asking my opinion on hair styles, nail polish colors, and types of lip glass, I stood there frozen at a loss for words.

   After laughing at my cluelessness, she informed me that she would be heading over soon. I still don't think that we really needed to start getting ready this early, but Elena insists that it is an all day process. I mean, how long does it really take to step into a dress? But considering this will be my first dance, who am I to argue?

  "Dad I'm home!" I call as I make my way into the living room, bracing myself for the scolding I am sure will come.

  To my shock, I am met with laughter floating in from the kitchen.

  "And she lives!" He teases me as he steps into the room.

  I shrug innocently at him, taking a chance at a smile as I kick my shoes off.

  "I called over there a few hours ago expecting you to be up" He explained, "was told you were sleeping like the dead" he chuckles to himself as he takes a seat at the couch.

  "Sorry" I apologize, smiling sheepishly at him as I move further into the room.

  I carefully fold Damon's jacket over the armrest of the couch, nervously running my fingers over the cool leather.

  "Don't worry about it kiddo, not like I haven't slept half a day away before" he chuckles again and pats the spot next to him. "Have a moment that we can talk? I know today is the big dance, but wanted to share something with ya!"

  "Of course!" I eagerly plop into the seat beside him. Adjusting myself to face him, I curl one leg under me and lean back against the armrest. "Is everything okay?"