Chapter 8-Adam

I lick the blood off of my lips and feelings of guilt and deep regret wash over me.  Why must life be like this?  I never wanted to be a monster, but like my mother used to say, "That's fate, Adam."  I lay the doe's body down in the pile of leaves and stand up, looking around me.  I brush the dry and crunchy leaves off of me and lick my teeth, to make sure there is no dried blood on them.  

   I make my way back out of the forest and try to find my car.  I finally stumble upon my car and am shocked by who is standing by the passenger door.

********************************************Alex P.O.V.*************************************

   The final bell rings and I'm left waiting on the steps by myself.  Where is Adam?  Shouldn't he be done...hunting by now?  Shouldn't he have called me and told me that he was going to be late?  Pushing down my worry and anger at him being late, I look around for someone to ride with.  After minutes and minutes of searching, I finally just go back to sitting and moping on the steps.  I then hear the sound of tires on the tar of the parking lot, and I snap my head up.  I see a white Chevy Silverado and there is only one person I know that has that truck.....Lizzie.  

   She pulls to a stop in front of the steps and rolls down the passenger window.  "Do you want a ride," she calls out to me.  I slowly nod my head then gather my things and get up.  I walk to the door and try to open it, but it won't budge.  She realizes her mistake and unlocks the door.  I try to open it again, blushing while so, and it finally opens.  I climb in and little did I know, it was going to be the most uncomfortable ride I have ever known.

****************************************Adam P.O.V*******************************************

   "What are you doing here?"  I hiss out.  

   "Who, me?  I am doing nothing but trying to get what belongs to me," said Calvin.  

   "She doesn't belong to you, now leave."  He snarls and starts walking towards me.  Now let me explain who Calvin is.  Calvin is another vampire, of course, but he is also crazy obsessed with Elizabeth.  She dated him a few years ago, but it wasn't working out so she broke up with him and for some reason, he was so intrigued by her, that he decided he would try to make her a vampire so she could be with him for all of eternity.  I think he's a certified lunatic but right now I should be focused on what he is saying.  

   "She is mine, now leave before I tell my friend to stop her and your girlfriend."  My blood runs cold and my dead heart literally stops beating when I hear the last words. 

   "Don't you dare touch her!'  I snarl.  

    "Oh, is someone a little touchy and overprotective?  Well don't worry, if you leave this town and never come back, I won't have to touch her."  I just glare at him coldly and he shrugs as if it is no big deal.  "Fine, then.  Have it your way."  He closes his eyes, a sign of mental communication, and I try to make a move but an invisible force keeps me forced back.  My wide eyes turn towards him and he snickers.

   He gestures his hand towards the forest and I turn my head to see what it is.  I see a very short woman with white hair and electric blue eyes.  Once I see her, I know immediately who it is.  "Lyssa."  I manage out of my constricted airways.  If you're wondering who Lyssa, she is a powerful witch, who happens to hate vampires' guts.  I look to Calvin, then turn back to Lyssa.  

   "Hello, Prince Adam," she sneers to me.  She turns back to Calvin and bows her head respectfully.  "What else would like me to do, Master Calvin?"  Master?  Since when did she start obeying orders, especially vampires? 

   "What is going here," I manage to get the words out.  Calvin looks at me smugly and shrugs once again.

   "Well, seeing as you will be leaving soon, I don't see why we can't tell you."  He spits out "we" as if it were a dirty word.  "Well, a while ago, I found a young woman lying by the side of the road and me being the gentleman I am, I asked if she needed assistance.  She didn't trust me at first, but I convinced her with my charm and charisma."  

   I roll my eyes at this and tell him, "That still doesn't tell me what the heck is going on!"  

   He looks at me stupidly and I suddenly remember one specific memory.

   I am sitting on the phone, talking to Elizabeth and she tells me something, which sent chills up my spine.  "Adam?" she tells me with a worried voice.

   "Yes," I ask with a tired one.  

   "I think Calvin might have the ability to compel people." 

   My tired senses finally snap wide awake and I ask her alarmed, "Why?  How do you know?"

   She takes a deep breath and replies, "Well, I can somehow just sort of tell. I am a witch you know,"she tries to lighten the mood but I can hear she is scared.

   The flashback ends but I still remember what I told her.  I told her to shake it off but if the feelings increasen, then she should end all contact with him immediately.  She did the latter and we hadn't heard from him in a long time, until now.  

   Lysaa loosens the invisible bounds and I make my move.

   I lunge to grab Lyssa and I succeed.  She tries to struggle but I am way stronger and we both know it.  She finally lays limp in my arms and I glare at Calvin.

   "If you don't want her dead, then I suggest you leave and NEVER come back."  For a moment, I see pure and genuine worry in his eyes, but he quickly puts on an emotionless mask.  He scoffs and says, 

   "Fine, but this isn't the last time you see me.  I can guarantee that."