Chapter 18-Alex

Hearing that name was like a blow to my heart, the full force of it almost knocking me off of Lizzie's bed.  "Whoa!  Wait what?"  I look between them confused about the current situation.  I turn to Adam for help but he's whispering comforting words to Lizzie, oblivious to my confused stares.  She doesn't seem to be listening because she just feverishly mumbles and incantation with her eyes closed, her hands curled into fists.  I've never seen her this upset about anything and to be honest, it's kind of scaring me.

   "Get Alex, Adam."  She tells him, trembling.  He looks to me confused, but ushers me over anyways.  I slowly make my way over to them and kneel by Adam and Lizzie, confused as to what was going on. 

   "Lizzie, are you okay?"  I ask her, genuinely worried about my best friend.  I put a consoling hand on her knee and she snaps her wide eyes down to meet my confused ones.  She grabs my hand and clenches it, almost cutting off my blood circulation.  "Lizzie, stop that hurts," I whimper and she immediately lets go, looking at me sorrowfully.   

   "Alex, this isn't good, it's horrible."  She whispers more to herself rather than me.  I turn to Adam but he averts his eyes and looks towards the door, ignoring my curious glances.  I turn around to face Lizzie, slightly hurt but I swallow it and ignore him too.  If he wants to play that game then I will. 

   "Lizzie, you need to tell Alex."  Adam says, pain masking his handsome face.  I turn away from him, distracted. 

   "Tell me what?"  I ask confused. 

   "About my soul mate and what soul mates are," she answers for him, staring out soulfully into the distance. 

   "Well, go ahead."  I urge her on. 

   "Well, it's believed that when humans and mythological creatures alike were created, each one was given a soul mate.  The one who would love them unconditionally, hurting when you were, only happy if you were happy, that sort of stuff.  Each creature, human or not, has a soul mate but some just aren't lucky enough to find theirs."  She stops abruptly and I look to her, confused.  

   "Well, go on."  I tell her a little impatiently.  

    She looks at me coolly and continues,  "Well, usually, each creature is paired with another one of their kind.  That way, we don't have any mixed breeds.  But, there are some "special cases," such as a shape shifter and a witch or in your case, a human and a vampire."  I look to Adam and a small smile appears on his face, despite the thick tension in the room.  "But never, and I mean never, have I heard of a werewolf and a witch being placed together.  It isn't in any of the scrolls or archives  and to be honest, I'm scared of what will happen if Ian, or anyone else for that matter, finds out about this."  Her pale blue eyes fill with tears and I get off of my knees and wrap her in a protective hug.  

   She squeezes tightly back and I smooth her hair with one hand while Adam whispers soothing words to comfort her. Her grip loosens a bit and I pull back, much to her dismay.  "Lizzie, nothing bad will happen to you, I won't let it.  Sure, some people may think it's a bit strange at first, especially Ian, but don't worry about what they think.  If you and Ian are mates, it means that you are meant to be with him and no one else."  Her lip trembles but she hides her worry behind masked eyes.  

    "Well, what if he hates me?  He always goes for those gorgeous girls, ones with the perfect smiles and curvy bodies.  I don't have any of that, Alex."  Now it's my turn to be the surprised one.  

   "Elizabeth, I don't ever want to hear you talk like that again.  You're are gorgeous, both inside and out, and I'm sure that you are good enough for Ian.  In fact, you're more than just good enough, you're perfect for him.  So shush up and go get ready."  I take a breath and stop rambling while Lizzie and Adam just stare at me.