Close Proximity

"You didn't have to do that."
"Of course I did. You're my sister...and your blood is important." Jisoo retorted, handing an ice pop to Irene as they waited for dawn.
"If it was, Sung Hoon wouldn't want to Erase me as badly as he does." They were sitting on a stone bench, enjoying what was left of the night. It was a tradition the two sisters shared and tried to make time for.
"He's a special case." The petite laughed as she took a bite of flavored ice. "We didn't do anything."
"What?"
"Sung Hoon and I. We didn't do anything...like that. He isn't that type. Or mine." A breath. "We made a couple of deals and exchanged money."
Irene hummed with laughter. "Oh, so dirty deals, huh?" It was her turn to hesitate. "Thank you. I didn't know I caused you so much trouble. I'll try to pay you back and be better-."
"No, just 'be better'. The Council will twist your words and then who knows." Jisoo stood, seeing the first hint of light. "Everyone needs you to mature. We need you."
Joo-hyun forced a smile and took her sister's hand, swinging it back-and-forth. "I'll be there sooner than you think."
"I should hope. You've only had your entire life." The small-framed vampire helped the latter to her feet and escorted her to the exit.
"So," The eldest started as they escaped the outdoors for protection. "Did Sung Hoon scold you?"
"It wasn't so much of a scolding but more like...an argument." Jisoo raised a thin brow as she thought back. "He's too full of himself to want to compromise and listen. There's a lot happening within the Council that I can't say but," She slowed her steps. "I wouldn't say it's anything progressive."
Joo-hyun looked down and caught the heels of her sister's shoes, red soles disappearing and reappearing with each forward step. "He can practice dealmaking, though? I don't think he cares, Jisoo."
"He cares, but just enough to create problems. He's the tie-breaker but intentionally-" Jisoo halted her speech, realizing she was going too far. "I can't help you anymore, understand?"
Irene wanted to respond with something sarcastic, hearing the easy-going yet chilly tone, but she didn't. There was no reason to and it would only cause an issue. "I'll...get rid of Seok-Jin as soon as possible."
"Will you? Can you? His condition isn't well and according to the books, the tie must be severed first."  Her sister stopped as they rounded the corner, the next hall forking off. Turning around, she brushed the hazel away from her face looking exhausted. "Unless you find another way, it's best to stay away and let someone else handle him for now."
Joo-hyun sighed and dug a heel into the carpet. "I'll wait orders, then."

~

From a stressful Judgement to an unsuccessful conversation, all she wanted was to fall into unconsciousness and forget about the events of today. She was back in her apartment for the day, washing up before sleep. With an aching head, Irene reached into the bathroom cupboard above the sink for medication; the problem was clear and pain pills wouldn't strip her mind of the issue. But it would have to wait until nightfall.
Just as she was about to open the bottle, slow footsteps sounded in the hallway...clicking and clacking on the hardwood floor. Joo-hyun frowned, feeling unsettled. She stepped out of the bathroom, bottle still hand, and into the dark. "How did you get in?" His presence was unexpected and invasive.
"As Pundit, I have a Master Key. Did you forget that, too?" Jaehwan questioned as he waved a key in the air, approaching slowly with unknown intent.
"How was I to know, in all the years I've known you, you'd appear in my apartment?" Irene eyed him as he began to circle her, his hand brazenly touching a shoulder.
The male vampire hummed with a smile, the blackness in his eyes laughing. "Is it that impossible?"
She started for the living room, brushing him and the words off, not wanting to believe it. "What do you want?"
Jaehwan followed. "Control."
"You're delusional. Do you really believe I'd give myself up to you for you to destroy my brood?"
"No."
Joo-hyun rolled her eyes and sat on the glass coffee table, legs crossed and a concentrated gaze on the man now sitting on the couch across from her. "Right."
"If necessary, I can always...force you."
"Force me?"
"You know exactly what I mean." Jaehwan leaned forward, looking serious.
"That's a myth-."
"You were bothered in the Judgement Room." He cocked his head. "Odd reaction for a myth."
Irene looked away, hoping he would leave. "Who wouldn't be with a pair of fangs at their throat? You're infamous for that."
The Pundit reached out and graced her hand. "You're special."
She scoffed and pushed it back. "'Special'? Only you would think-."
"The brood thinks this way, too. Is it that difficult for you to grasp such a concept? You have no idea how much power you could have over them if you-!"
"Nothing good ever comes from tyranny."
"It's only tyranny if you let yourself get to that point-."
"Get out." She pointed to the door, not even bothering to look in his direction again as she turned her whole body away this time.
"Don't tell me you're hungry." Irene glanced at the forgotten bottle in her hand and tucked it under her legs, embarrassed. "Hah, I don't know how I didn't realize it sooner."
"Stop trying to stall! We haven't seen each other in a month-."
"You've been starving yourself longer than that." Jaehwan's hand was on her shoulder, his grip firm to turn and push her onto the floor. "Why haven't you been eating, Joo-hyun?" He walked around the table to kneel in front of her. She was leaning against the piece of furniture, her eyes on the pills that had spilled across the rug.
"I haven't had the appetite." She excused, trying to stand. He shoved her again, back slamming against the table's frame.
"It isn't because of me I hope." He propped himself up with a hand on the table and a hand on the floor, keeping face-to-face. "We don't need you rotting away."
Joo-hyun could feel her support sliding. "Should I be shocked you care?"
Jaehwan inched closer. "Whomever it is, you should be happy someone is concerned." Her eyes darted to Jaehwan's forearms. "I'm looking out for your well-being at least until you relinquish everything to me."
"Typical, selfish behavior." She took the chance to push the arm beside her head away, scrambling to her feet; she started for the kitchen before the Pundit snatched Irene by the ankle and dragged her down.
"I'm not going to hurt you!" Jaehwan insisted as they fought, with him gradually climbing on top and managing to pin down her arms.
She swore he could hear her heartbeat, it was pounding like a drum in her ears. "I already told you we're done."
"We have a lot to discuss."
"I'm not interested." Joo-hyun turned her head, defiant and angry.
"Does Jin really not interest you?"
Flushed, she huffed and looked up. "He hates 'Doctor Jung', no need to say anymore." She bit her lip when their palms met. "I can see you won't leave until you get what you want."
Jaehwan's smile was bright. "On my way over, I was thinking," He murmured as his fingers delicately caressed the skin of her collar bone up to her chin, black irises following the trail. "How it's been awhile."
"Pathetic." She made to shove him off, deciding this was enough, but he pinned her shoulders back down. "...and a liar."
"Am I supposed to be hurt?"
"I have much worse to say if you want to hear it." As hard as she tried, the words that spilled from her voice noticeably trembled and Jaehwan smiled.
"Try it."
She took a deep breath and started with instead, "You knew about me before that, didn't you? That's why you came here... why you wanted in this brood."
Joo-hyun suddenly found herself looking at the wall, neck fully exposed as he closed the large gap into mere millimeters. "Was it?" He paused. "Perhaps I...lucked out." The teasing fangs kissed the surface of her chest and scaled up, hovering at the crook. A shaky breath passed through his lips when her skin made contact with the protruding canines. With baited breath, Irene waited in fear and spotted darkness for him to succumb to previous desires; instead, Jaehwan released her. His breathing was audible, heavy and trembling as he climbed to his feet. "This is boring."
She sat up and allowed her eyes to follow him as he headed for the door. "What are you doing?" She was almost too afraid to say anything.
Jaehwan stopped, his back still turned to her. "I wanted to have some fun but you're making it too easy."
Joo-hyun stood on shaky legs, not realizing how scared she actually was. Making her way to the couch and staring at the vampire who had just tried to drink her blood for a second time, she demanded with all the strength she had: "Don't come back."
"I don't think you have the right to tell me what to do." His voice was raspy and she realized the attack had stimulated a ravenous appetite in his belly; now he was fighting against it. She glanced at the pills that laid scattered on the floor. He must not have been taking them, otherwise, he wouldn't be in this state. "As I said before," He coughed, making Irene flinch. "Eat."
"I could say the same to you." Why did she think that was a good idea? Jaehwan could turn into an animalistic bloodsucker any minute and the worst thing that could be done was talk back.
"It hasn't been the same since you."
"Then you shouldn't have-."
"I've fed off a lot- vampires and humans alike, but you're different." There was a shaky breath. "If you're lucky, I'll die before I manage to take your heart." The door opened and clicked close leaving Irene with so many questions.
__________________________________
I edited this at least 5 times and I went on vacation and I'm writing the chapter for the other story at the same time- that's why it took me so long. We'll be getting back to Jin next chapter