Second Approach

Jin rubbed his eyes as he tried to fall back asleep. He was alone now, the family reunion short-lived when prison guards carried his brother and mother off. To where? It wasn't mentioned, but the man in charge of their cell reassured him they weren't being harvested. How could he believe that when he and his family were still trapped here without an explanation? He wasn't sure who to blame anymore for that- Joo-hyun, a third entity, or himself for trusting her.
To be fair, she hadn't been a thought since they left and when he slept, it was sound. Well, all except for a week ago when her tear-jerking pleas and choked screams reached his unconsciousness. It was much more frightening than any other time and he didn't dare to open his eyes. This went on for three days and three nights, dealing sleepless nightmares; strangely and horribly, when it fell quiet again, his body began to ache like never before, like everything within was breaking.
The pain eventually subsided and Jin was left with a heavy chest as he recovered. Begging was the last he heard. He didn't bother asking about it because he knew the soldiers would decline to answer. It was unsettling just thinking that her thoughtful, yet awry intentions put her in such a painful position.
A light switched on above him, whitening the room in a soft pearly glow. Jin wasn't particularly enthused when this happened because it only ever brought trouble. Sitting up from his fetal position on the bed, he waited as footsteps echoed through the passageway. They were different and unfamiliar: long and heavy that clicked in suspense. When the pair stopped in front of the door and the jangle of keys was heard, he found himself sitting back down and deeply terrified. Something felt wrong- even more than usual.
It was a man, and as he revealed himself from behind the slate, Seok-Jin brought his knees up. "I had to make sure."
"You..." Jin couldn't help but grip at the blankets as the Pundit stood with his lips curled into a cruel smile. This was the man from before, the one who bowed beside Irene, the one who posed as a doctor and tried to kill him.
"You...what?" The latter raised a brow in a mocking manner.
Jin glowered. "Where's my family?"
"Considering Joo-hyun promised your safety, I'd be more worried about yourself." How true that was. He flinched when the vampire started towards him. "I'm sure you were wondering about those screams."
"How did you know?"
"It's my job to know."
"Then...what were they? Why was Irene-?" He began again, hesitating under the vampire's red flash.
"She's alive, if that's what you're asking."
"No." Jin corrected. "I want to know why...she was in such horrible pain." He did not expect to be greeted with silence or a musing of desire but it made Jin much more uncomfortable and wary of the situation he was in. He didn't know the vampire's intent but so far, it was just as malicious as the others'.
"She'll be fine as long as she obeys her superiors." He followed with a sigh. "Right. I had another reason for coming. Unbeknownst to the Master General and I, the Council ordered that your family be moved for harvesting."
"Harvesting..." The young man felt despair settle in before rage took over. So that's why they had been taken. The guard outside mentioned the Council should take advantage of the situation while they could. He wondered if the former had anything to do with it. "I was told they weren't-! They're innocent, let them go!" Jin untucked his knees again but did not leave.
Jaehwan didn't react right away, the faintest of smiles making its way to his face. "As I said, I had no decision in the matter. I don't know their motive but..." An icy glance put the human on the defensive. "You must be aware of your position. Now that you're not Bonded with Joo-Hyun, we can do with you as we please."
Jin swallowed the fear that was rising in his throat. "No..."
"Your blood wouldn't please me and killing you here and now would be too revealing of my true character."
This relieved Seok-Jin slightly but he stayed vigilant. "When can we be released?"
The Pundit pushed his hair back. "We'd need to go over that in Court." A lengthy pause as he turned to the door. "I can help your family escape." There was a gasp of excitement before Jaehwan interrupted. "But you need to do something for me first."

~

Jin buried his head under the pillow. He couldn't stop mulling over the Pundit's request. It was too shameful. What was their relationship that the Pundit would ask this to be done to her? As far as Jin knew, she was punished- and quite extensively. To break her heart when all she had ever done was protect him was wrong- even if he was trying to save his family.
But how was he so sure he could trust the very man who tried to kill him? Jaehwan must have another motive for offering his help. Should Jin try appealing to the Court first? It seemed like a much safer bet than Jaehwan's idea. Irene mentioned once they had magic powers while displaying proof so perhaps the Court could use those very powers to erase memory.
If they refused after hearing his plea, he might be forced to take the low road.