Part 30: 𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓙𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓷𝓮𝔂 𝓲𝓼 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓔𝓷𝓭

⭐️

"Part of the journey is the end

"Part of the journey is the end."
~*~
Word Count: 1582

After I got in my black dress in the bathroom, all ready for my father's funeral, I knocked on Peter's (and I's) bedroom door and pushed it open gently.  I heard quiet voices playing from what I assumed to be his phone.

"Hey, May!  My gosh, I just wanted to tell you what an incredible job your nephew did... this weekend... at the Stark Internship Retreat." I heard Tony say as I stepped closer.  "Everyone was impressed--" As I stepped closer, there was a creak in the wood under my feet which triggered Peter to quickly turn off his phone. 

"I don't want to see anyone right now, May..."  he said, his voice low and breaking.

"How about me?"  I asked and I noticed him relax and took that as my "okay" to enter further. 

I put my hand on his shoulder, which he held tight, desperate for company, and I turned his desk chair around.  His hair was gelled back, he had dark bags under his red, puffy eyes, and his shirt was only half-buttoned up and some buttons were put through the wrong buttonholes.  He looked up at me with tear-filled eyes and my heart hurt at his condition.  His depressed and miserable state had become a regular sight, but that doesn't mean I liked it any more than when it was new. 

I knelt in front of him and helped unbotton his shirt.  I could feel his eyes on me and saw some of his tears fall from his cheeks and onto his toned chest.  As I got up to the top buttons, I glanced up to his eyes.  "I hate seeing you like this, Pete..."  I admitted, wiping his tears away.

I could tell that he didn't know how to respond, so I decided that not getting an answer was fine.  I leaned forward and lifted my head up to meet his forehead and planted a gentle kiss by his hairline. When I pulled back, my hand went to his cheek again and I just looked at him, admiring how even when he's miserable, he still looks handsome to me, even though I much prefer when he's happy.

I eventually snapped back into reality and stood up, helping him stand with me.  "Can you tuck in your shirt?"  I asked, turning to grab his black tie and he nodded.  When I turned back around, he was just finishing tucking in his shirt.  With his tie in hand, I made small adjustments with his shirt, straightening it out. 

My hands then went briefly around his neck as I helped tie his tie.  When I finished, he grabbed his suit jacket, which I also helped put on and then he turned around to face me.  I hugged him tight, which he soon returned. 

"It's gonna be okay, Peter... I promise... everything will be fine in the end..."  I whispered, releasing him just enough so that I could lean my forehead against his.  "Do you trust me?"