II

"If I could put myself in your shoes, then I'd know what it's like to be you."

- Like to be You, Shawn Mendes ft. Julia Michaels

Ryder got up and sighed in frustration, "Well, Dad, I guess we should just send her back then."

"No!" John and I yelled in unison.

Ryder looked at both of us in confusion.

I looked at John in surprise and he looked at me, just as shocked.

"We can figure out some way to use her, Ryder," John explained.

"There's no point of trying, because nothing you do is going to work," I told John, "And I don't want to go back to the castle just yet. This is the first time in months that I feel free. I was suffocating back there."

Ryder glared at both us, "Dad, it's not like she's much use. She said so herself, she's her family's disappointment. We don't need her. She's useless."

"I'm not an object," I seethed, standing up slowly.

Ryder ignored me, "Think about it, Dad. If she was of any value wouldn't some guards be out looking for her? Wouldn't word have spread?"

John looked between us, defeated.

I paced around in the room, "Yes, I did tell you, my father cares nothing for me. But please, let me stay for a couple of days. I just need a small break."

Ryder rolled his eyes, finally acknowledging my presence, "What? Dressing up pretty and getting out of bed by yourself is too hard?"

"Try being forced to marry a man who's ten years older than you just because your father needs to increase ties! Imagine not being allowed to choose what you want to do ever," I snapped back.

Ryder scoffed, "It's not like we get to choose what to do ever."

"At least you'll get to marry someone you like."

"No, I won't," Ryder muttered.

"Stop it, both of you," John cut in, "Ryder, come out to the hall."

John pulled Ryder out of the room, probably to discuss the matter at hand.

I stared at the ceiling. It was crumbly and brown. It looked like it could fall apart at any moment.

They returned moments later, Ryder looking annoyed as hell and John seeming satisfied.

Ryder strolled until he was a foot away from me, "We will allow you to stay here for two days, if we find no use for you within that time, we're sending you back to your luxurious castle and forgetting that this ever happened."

"Deal," I nodded, offering him my hand.

"What do you want me to do? Hold your hand? This is the second time you've offered it. The world isn't that scary, I'm sure you'll survive," Ryder smirked.

"I was going to shake your hand to make the deal official," I explained, rolling my eyes.

He scoffed, shaking his head.

I dropped my hand again, realizing he wasn't going to shake it.

Rude.

"I need to go run some errands and pick up your sister," John told Ryder, "Just watch over Princess Diana and make sure she doesn't run away."

John sent me a stern look.

"Please, just call me Diana and don't worry. I don't plan on leaving, like I told you, I'd rather be here than in a castle filled with royal pains in the ass."