Epilogue

5 years later

5 years later

I've never been the type to get nervous easily. I could talk in front of anyone, say what I wanted in front of anyone and not give two fucks about it. However, now as I stood in the gallery watching all these world renowned artists walk and talk with one another, looking at my art, had my butt cheeks clenched.

This was my first exhibit, and after years and years of finally practicing and perfecting my art, I finally felt comfortable and at peace with my creations  to share them at a local exhibit for everyone to see. Every second was nail biting, because I could never tell what any of these people were thinking when they would look at my art. Their faces had somehow become unreadable, and I don't if it's my mind playing that trick or what.

To clear my head, I started to walk around like the others. The Lily Dragon gallery was surprisingly packed as I walked through it. My footsteps squeaking on the hardwood floors as I studied the space, looking at my paintings on the white walls. Some were with oils, other water colors, all from the different periods of my life. I never imagined, back when I first came to the city, that the local arts scene would draw me in. I never anticipated having my work recognized or to be sought out for commissions, least of all for painting.

But to my surprise, people like them and actually want to spend money of them. That's crazy, I never would've thought my life would be like this a few years ago. I was just a regular kid in high school not knowing what I wanted to do with my life, and now I'm here in Los Angeles selling paintings. Who would've thought?

Leaving behind my dad and my friends was hard to grasp when I first got here. It seemed easy at first, a few FaceTime calls here and there, texting each other throughout the day, it was all easy at first. Then college came, everyone started to get busy, doing their own things, handling their own business.

Now that I'm older I realized that that's just a part of life. People grow apart and that's perfectly fine. Some people are in your life for a reason, and some for a season.

Making my way through the gallery, I stopped in front of a large installation painting that I had spent several months working on. It makes me nervous just seeing the painting out here in the open like this. My hands are slightly sweaty and I wipe them on the front of my navy slacks.

This one was my favorites, I looked it over still mesmerized by it. It was oil on canvas, photorealistic, depicting a cloud in the sky with an electric lightning bolt shooting through it, and a man  resting, propped up against the trunk of a tree. His eyes were closed, his expression oddly pleasant and accepting, given there was a wound on his chest, staining his white regency blouse. His hair was dark, matching the beard on his handsome, angular face. I called it: Lightening Man.

I'm not good with names, okay?

Times seemed to fly in the gallery, and before I knew it had talked with four art collectors about my newest paintings. The chance to solidify my connections to the art scene is pivotal to my career, and I think its been successful so far.

The exhibit was about over now, everyone in expensive attire talking amongst each other casually. While everyone conversed about an art museum in Fresno, I glanced over everyone admiring the different pieces. Earlier in the day, it was nice to see, had me feeling elated and notable. I have always been a bold person and I'm confidant in my art. But now as my eyes scan the studio, I feels unsteady.

Through the crowd, I can see someone standing with their back to me, in front of one of my lesser known paintings.

With a raised brow, I walked over the guy, his back lean and long, face hidden behind a pair of thick shades. "I noticed you incorporate primarily pink and yellow in your work."

"Yes, I do." I agreed, eyes still on him, trying to figure out why that voice sounded so familiar.

The shaded man smiled to himself. "That is the first thing I noticed about your work. Although, I believe the pink is more of a purple hue."

I smiled, "It is definitely my trademark, slightly in each one. It's my favorite color."

"It suits you well, Aries." The man lifting his hands to remove his shades, and I felt my body become hot when those familiar pair of brown eyes met my own. God, I felt like I was dreaming. This can't be him, not after all this time, it impossible.

"Long time no see, huh?" Grayson said softly, his familiar tone making my heart pound in my chest. It wasn't until I seen that crooked smile that I knew in my heart it was Grayson King. God, I didn't realize how much I missed him until he was standing right in front of me for the first time in years.

Grayson had become even more beautiful in the time we were apart. He had stubble now and his hair cut more lower, and it suited him well, really well actually.

"G-Grayson, what are you doing here?" I managed to get out, stumbling over my own words.

"Well, I was in town and I heard you were hosting an art exhibit, and I was like "what? Aries, hosting an art exhibit?" So I had to come see for myself." Grayson laughed, and I felt myself grow warm. I missed it.

I could physically feel my heart dropping to my feet the longer I stared at my first love. He was wearing a flowy white long sleeve with a thin black tie and some colorful flower pants . On anyone else, this outfit would have looked tacky but Grayson pulled it off as if it was made for him.

"I'm so proud of you Aries," He said, suddenly embracing me in a hug. I was stunned for a moment, but after a second I hugged him back, his familiar scent filling my nostrils.

"I always knew you were going to make something of yourself, but this, this is just wow." Grayson explained, awkwardly making weird hand gestures, a quickly flashback to that awkward tall kid in high coming back to fill my head.

"Thank you. You've been doing well for yourself too. How's the law firm?"

Grayson snorted, rolling his eyes. "Boring."

We both laughed, our laughters catching the attention of the other artists but I didn't care. I just wanted to talk to Grayson for hours.

"Hey, if you aren't busy would you like to go get coffee? On me, because I owe you." I offered, my palms starting to sweat again.

Grayson's eye locked with me, and for a moment they seemed to sparkle in the lights of the gallery, like art on display, and in my head, he is.

"Owe me for what?" He chucked.

"Everything." I said, embracing him in another hug. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer, gently rubbing my arm. Despite the heaviness in my stomach, it fluttered at the feeling of my body pressed against his. I sunk into the warmth of him, appreciative of the simple gesture. His touch made the room warmer somehow, my future within its walls seeming a little less bleak and more pink.

••••
Excuse any mistakes or errors

Sometimes you just have to be patient and the universe will find a way ❤️