Alex goes back to toying with his meal. He frowns at the mention of Liam's name. "You and Liam... do you ever see you two... I don't know... making amends?"

"We really aren't at odds now. I know he cheated on me," I say at his look of surprise. "Of course, he doesn't see it that way, but I do. Truth is, we both been distancing ourselves from each other for quite some time now. It was just so gradual I don't think either of us really noticed. I know it may be odd to say, but this baby is a blessing, really. If I wasn't pregnant, who knows if I'd ever admit the truth about who and what we've become to one another. He mentioned marriage. I shudder at the thought now."

Alex still looks like there is something on the tip of his tongue that he really wants to say, but he's holding back on saying it, and I just wish I could reach in and pull it out of him.

"What?" I nearly demand.

He just shakes his head at me and that's another trait which drives me up the wall.

I put my plate of food on the coffee table and move closer to him. He gets this look of panic for a moment, and I want to laugh, but keep my composure. I take his plate away from him and put it on the table, too.

"Okay, Alexander Bragin, I have had enough of my friends shutting me out. Tell me what you want to say."

Alex shakes his head again. I take his hands in mine. "Please," I say.

"I'm not shutting you out, Cat, not really. I just... I constantly overstep my bounds with you, just like with William, and I don't want to do that again."

"Shouldn't that be for me to decide? Besides, if anyone oversteps boundaries here, I think that would be me."

He grins at me, as he knows I'm speaking of the time when he helped me to bed. He takes a deep breath and exhales. "You were half asleep, Cat. Had you been awake, I'm certain none of that would have happened. Not that I'm complaining," he adds, with that beautiful smile of his.

"Out with it," I say, not giving up.

"I was going to suggest that I go with you, to your parents. If you want me too."

My eyes want to bug out of my head. "Seriously? But don't you have plans?"

"My plans got canceled when William disappeared. I don't go home because, well, I just don't. So I'm free, if you're interested in having a tagalong."

He sees my hesitation and pulls his hands away to grab his plate again. "See, told you, dumb idea. I should have just listened to myself and not said anything."

"No!" I say, putting my hand on his arm, and he looks up at me. "If I'm hesitant, it's just because I'm not entirely sure I want to subject you to my family. They can be a little... rough, annoying, overbearing... I don't know what adjective to use here, as several apply."

"Cat, if you want me... if you need me, I'll be happy to go with you. I can handle myself when it comes to your parents. I'm very likable," he says, wearing a very smug expression.

"Of that, I am aware," I tell him, grinning. "Okay."

He looks at me in shock. "Really?"

"Really. I usually plan on staying with them for a week. I have had William come with me in the past, so I doubt having you there will be a problem. However, since I am dropping some heavy baggage on them, we may not stay as long. I have to wait and see how this plays out."

He is smiling at me, and he just can't seem to stop. "It all sounds good to me."

"That's because you're crazy," I tell him.