Chapter III: Meet The Olympians [Part 1]

Name: Artemis
Title: Olympian God of The Moon, Wilderness, Hunt, Childbirth and Archery.

Artemis PoV:

Now, I know you might expect me to be some arrogant brat who had everything handed to her because she is the daughter of the king or a judgemental narcissist with a huge grudge based on some preconceived notions. Well, I did get a few things from my father but I am not the manipulative bastard in my family. The honor of that title should belong to my twin brother, Apollo. He has everyone fooled with his 'cool guy' act. He tricked me into swearing an oath against love too.

---------------------Flashback-----------------------

It was a sunny day on Olympus and the throne room of the gods was bustling with activity as the immortals prepared for the coronation ceremony. It wasn't everyday new Olympians were crowned, not just one but two. A young boy of 7 years, with dark brown hair and brilliant blue eyes, was running across the streets being chased a young girl of 6, with fiery auburn hair and silver eyes with a splash of freckles on the nose and cheeks. The boy's laughter echoed along the streets as he ran through them, cleverly evading the projectiles thrown by his pursuer. The two children made their way through the heavenly city engrossed in their joyous games. Their game lead them to the slave houses where the boy abruptly stopped causing the girl to run into him.

The girl smacked the boy upside the head while clutching her nose, that was now a brilliant shade of gold and said, "Apollo, why did you stop? Now I have a boo boo, you big meanie." The boy, Apollo, continued to stay silent which led to the girl coming around from behind his back. The girl gasped as she took in the scene before her. A man kneeled over a woman's body, neither of them clothed. The woman cried and pleaded but the man forced himself on her. The children remained hidden in the bushes as they saw the man kill the woman as she attempted to free herself. Apollo finally came to his senses and grabbed his sister's hand before they ran to the throne room. They stopped just short of the throne room, panting for breath. The girl had tears in her eyes as she whispered, "How could you, Apollo? How could you just hide and watch as that poor woman was killed?"

Apollo looked at the girl as he morphed into an older form, following his lead so did the girl. Then Apollo said, "Come on, Artemis. There was nothing we could do. We can't interfere in mortal affairs. We are just godlings." The woman nodded agreeing but still looked sad. However she brightened up once her brother said, "OK, since today is the last day we are going to be free, why don't we go home and see what mom is doing?"
Wihh those words, both the young gods disappeared in a flash of light and reappeared on an island with lush green forests and beautiful sandy beaches. They slowly waded through the sands as they made their way to a small cottage on the borders of the forest. As they approached the house, they heard crying coming from the house and immediately armed themselves. They might have been godlings but they were still stronger than the ordinary creatures that inhabited the island. The sibling duo silently made their way into the cottage to be met with an unexpected sight. Their mother, a beautiful women with dark hair and fierce blue eyes was hugging her knees and sobbing. She instantly wiped her tears with the back of her hand as she saw them and asked, "Artemis, Apollo, How are you? I thought tomorrow was your coronation." Apollo smiled at his mother and turned into an adorable 5 year old and said, "Mowmy, you awe home." Leto lightly chuckled as she hugged her son and turned towards her daughter to see her in her 12 year old form.

Artemis hugged her mother or rather her legs tightly as her mother smiled at them. After prying a stubborn Apollo who refused to let go of Leto's leg as he hugged her, Leto asked the children to wait outside as she prepared them dinner. Artemis followed her brother outside to keep an eye on him as he played on the sands of the beach. Her thoughts were plagued by memories of the vicious scene they had seen earlier and the sobs of her mother. She sat on a rock and watched as her brother, made castles with mud and tried to keep the water away from them, miserably failing in the process. She was lost in her thoughts when she felt someone poking her side, she turned to see little Apollo standing on small rock with a stick in his hand. He sat down next to her and asked her, "Why so sad, Awty?" Artemis turned away looking at the waves as she said, "I don't know, Apollo. I can't forget what happened. It just eats away at me." Apollo stopped tapping the stick as he morphed into his 12 year old form and asked, "Artemis, what happened wasn't your fault. The woman died because that man killed her. Not because of you. Mother was crying because she is in love Father but they cannot be together. Not because we were leaving. She knew would be Gods, that's why she thought us how to travel quickly, so we could see her anytime we want."

The duo were silent for a minute as the waves crashed on the shore rhythmically spraying the air with a fine mist. After a minute, Artemis asked her brother in a small voice, "Brother, is this what love means? Sadness, pain, sorrow, misery. That means we both are bound to suffer them too." Artemis facing the seas, couldn't see a happy glint appear in Apollo's eyes as he said, "I know a way to avoid love, sister. We won't have deal with it ever again. We can be happy together with mom and dad for the rest of eternity." Artemis' head snapped to the side as she faced her brother who had a smile on his face. Her eyes regained their brightness as she asked, "How? Wait let's do it now so that we can be free forever. Otherwise we might forget later." Apollo nodded and said, "All we have to do is say these words, 'I, (full name), swear on the river Styx to abstain from romantic relationships and never acknowledge love.'" For a second, Artemis looked unsure as she asked, "Apollo, are you sure of this? Mother always warned us never to swear on the Styx unless it is extremely important. Don't you remember? She said bad things happen to people who swear on that river." Apollo continued smiling and said, "No problems, sister. We will take this oath together. I asked aunty Demeter and she said that bad things happen only when you break an oath. But neither of us want to break that oath so we should be ok."

Artemis still unsure asked her brother, "We do this together, right? I take the oath and then you do too. Ok?" Apollo lightly laughed and said, "Of course sister. Ok." Artemis gained a small smile as she swore the oath and thunder boomed across the sky signalling the sealing of the oath. Artemis looked at Apollo impatiently waiting for him to do the same. However, Apollo simply smiled at her and looked genuinely relieved. Fearing the worst, Artemis asked her brother, "Apollo why aren't you swearing the oath? You said you would do it with me." Apollo's smile fell as he became serious and said, "I am sorry sister. But I cannot protect you everyday when we become gods. I cannot stand to see you heartbroken just like mom. Now you would never be in a relationship and hence you would never get hurt." Tears rolled down Artemis' cheeks as she looked at her twin.

----------------End of Flashback-----------------

Ever since then I have been fooled several times by my brother into committing gruesome acts. I knew I  couldn't ever get married or have children but that didn't mean I  couldn't fall in love. I followed Aunt Hestia's example and swore to be a maiden in order to avoid revealing my initial oath. But like my aunt, the maiden oath was made to my Father, Zeus, rather than the Styx. So I hope that maybe when my initial oath is lifted, I could ask father to revoke my oath.

I searched for years to find a solution to my problem but I only managed to find a loophole. The oath stated that I  couldn't acknowledge my love but that didn't mean I couldn't love. So every time I fell in love, I would simply wait for the inevitable demise of my beloved. I never spent much time on Olympus in fear of falling for an immortal and suffering eternally.

Not only did he make me swear off love, he spread lies (he is the God of truth, ironically) about me to any and everyone willing to listen. He killed and tricked me into killing Actaeon, Orion, Callisto, Atlanta, Polyphonte, Aura, Chione, Niobe and countless more. Everyone believes that I hate men but I don't. He always acts like an idiot so nobody believes he is even capable of higher thought. His meddling and behavior have made me exile myself to the Hunt. The only place I have left. I hunt monsters everyday but he.. He made me a monster. Every time I see someone, I see the fear in their eyes. They think I am a mindless monster who irrationally judges an entire race based on a few people. I am forced to be someone I am not and the worst part is that everybody believes that I truly am that person.

Well, I guess this is it. Now atleast you know my story. If Apollo ever finds you, run because you know the truth and he will stop at nothing to hide it.