Chapter Twenty-Four: Arsonist's Lullaby

Start from the beginning

"Because I want to know why he slept at my house last night." I whisper.

"You didn't know?"

"I fell asleep thinking that he would let himself out. Guess not."

I turn around to look at Adrian, "Can you walk faster we don't have all day."

Adrian walks up beside me as we cut through the small area of trees and into the clearing where some members of the gang are. Mostly the older ones.

We walk into the side entrance of Mystic Glass.

Clark comes running up to us.

"Your Dad is in the corner hugging a bottle of beer and crying." Clark explains.

I glance over Clarks shoulder, "Yeah I can see that."

"Who are you?" Clark asks pointing over to Adrian.

"Adrian." He smiles awkwardly.

I look down at the ground and sigh, "I'll go talk to him."

I move over to the corner where my Dad is sitting. He's curled up in a ball shaking his whole body back and forth along with his head side to side.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He repeats.

"Dad."

No response.

"Dad!"

He looks up at me, "Oh Maggie."

I watch as he stumbles to his feet and places his hands on my shoulders.

"I am so sorry, I ruined everything."

I don't respond.

"I don't know what I'm doing. I've ruined everything with your Mom and your brother."

"I'm so sorry." He says.

Without thinking about what to say the words come flying out of my mouth, "Yeah you better be," I stare at him, "I'm the kid Dad. I'm the one that is supposed to be getting drunk and making the mistakes, not the other way around. You should be looking after me."

"I know."

"Do you, do you know? Because it doesn't look like it when you're cowering in a corner with beer bottle surrounding you!" I shout.

"I want to fix things." He says.

"And how are you gonna do that, call Mom on the phone? You don't even have a fucking phone! Are you gonna go get Caleb and bring him home? No you're not because he's, a danger, right?"

"So Dad tell me what are you gonna do to fix your family?"

"I'll find a phone and call your Mom."

"Yeah then what? Do you know what you're going to say to her or are you just gonna find a phone while drunk one night and call her telling her about all your mistakes?" I ask.

He doesn't say anything he just sits back down on the ground.

"Seriously?" I glare.

He doesn't respond.

I crouch down to his level.

"Tell you what, if you put in an effort to fix things... I will burn all those files that I found in my room." I say.

He looks up at me, "You don't-"

"Will it get you to forget one of the worst mistakes you made. Partly yes. So I will go and burn those files, but only if you promise to put in an effort." I say.