Chapter Five: In The Heat Of The Moment

Tuesday, September 10th, 7:10am

I stayed home from School yesterday to give my mind one more day to cope with everything that had happened.

I am not fully prepared for people to ask me a millions times today if I am okay. But I am planning on channelling all my energy into something else.

I walk into my Kitchen and sit down at the table while my Dad sets down my plate of food.

"You know that you don't have to go to School today if you don't want to." He says.

"No it's fine, I'll be fine." I smile.

"Maggie stopped by yesterday. You didn't tell us she was back." My Mom says as she walks into the Kitchen and sits down across from me.

"It wasn't the main thing on my mind at the time, but why didn't you invite her inside? She is the one who found Kian."

"Well if she found Kian what to says she didn't kill him?"

"Mom."

"Get to School Alec your going to be late." My Mom says changing the subject.

"It's Ace. You know this Mom, it's been two years now."

"Just get to School."

"I haven't even eaten yet."

"Get to School, you can bring a granola bar with you."

I stand up from my chair and walk over to the front door to put on my shoes.

I sit down on the stool to tie the laces of my yellow convers.

My Dad walks over to me and places his hand on my shoulder, "Don't be mad at her, she's just sad and doesn't know how to deal with it."

"We're all sad Dad, and this is nothing new." I say as I tie my shoes.

"Just have a good day okay."

"I'll try." I stand up from the stool.

"Okay now go on, you're gonna be late."

"See you after School, I might be staying a bit longer." I smile as I run out the door to walk to school.

I walked through the School doors keeping my head down. I wanted to avoid getting asked how I was feeling as much as possible today.

I snuck through the crowds of people and into the Office.

"Oh hi, Ace. How are you feeling?"

"I'm good, could I speak with Principal Galilean please."

"Of course."

I sit down in the Principals Office and wait for her.

I always hated the Principals Office, I've had to come down here many times, not because I was in trouble or anything. Just in Grade 10 after Maggie was gone everyone started to pick on me more than they had before when Maggie was around. She was my protective shield, and when she was gone Kian became that, but now he's gone too.