21. The Event Part 1

Start from the beginning

I smiled and took a deep breath as we walked to our table.

Lamonte's mother pulled me in a warm embrace and I hugged her back. "It's good to see you again, dear."

I smiled and replied, "It's good to see you as well, Mrs. King."

"Nonsense, please call me Ma," she spoke.
Laviere, Lamonte's sister, quickly dragged me aside and asked, "Where did you go?"

"What do you mean?," I asked confused.

"My brother was so depressed without you and it was hard to get him to do anything. We had to lie to our parents and pretend that he was just busy with work. I wasn't even sure if he was going to show up tonight," she continued in exasperation.

"Ajax has kept some things from you...," I said softly. I told her the whole story about what really happened between Lamonte and I. She looked at me as if I had grown two heads.

"Are you serious? He cheated on you?!," she asked as if she couldn't believe it.

"I'm going to kill him," she whispered under her breath as she balled her first and tried to walk over to Lamonte.

"Please, don't," I pleaded as I laid a hand on her shoulder. "We are trying to work everything out, I just want to have a normal night tonight."

She grabbed my hand and looked at the ring.

"Oh my god! He proposed?," she said with a huge grin on her face.

I giggled and bursted her bubble, "No, it's just a promise ring."

Lamonte came over and interrupted us.

"Are you guys done catching up? Can I have my girl back please?," he said in an annoyed and whiny tone.

Laviere was shooting bullets through his head with her eyes, but he barely even noticed.

His eyes was focused on one thing and one thing only... me.

He whisked me away back to the table and I continued to have chats with his family, friends, and a few coworkers.

A couple of people walked up to us and I suddenly felt Lamonte get tense while holding my hand.

"Nick," he said almost painfully but politely.

He shook his hand and then turned his attention to the pretty woman standing next to him.

"Raquel," he spoke and gave her a kiss on the cheek while her touch lingered rather longer than I would've liked.

I studied her face.

She looked so familiar but I couldn't place my finger on it.

"Would you share a dance with me?," she suddenly asked Lamonte.

"I'm with my date," Lamonte said squeezing me by his side.

"This is Ashanti, my girlfriend," he continued on to introduce me.

The woman looked over at me with pure and utter distaste as if she's just noticing my presence.

"Hi, I'm Nick," the guy next to me said and took a hold of my hand as he planted a peck to my cheek.

"It's very nice to meet you, Nick," I said with a smile.

"How about that dance?," Raquel asked my man again for the second time.

He looked to me for permission and I granted it.

I danced with her husband, Nick, and he seemed really nice.

Although, I couldn't seem to stop myself from looking over at Raquel and Lamonte.

They looked as if they were deep in conversation and I could tell he was getting frustrated.

He dipped her and she looked back at me with a sly smirk on her face.

Then, it hit me like a slap in the face.

It was that bitch that he cheated on me with.

_____