Chapter : Ten - Free Will

Start from the beginning

"Of course," she rummaged around in her bag and pulled out a leaflet. Handing it over, I took the leaflet. "Just give me a call if you're interested."

Then she was gone.

As Soule closed the door, I wondered where I'd seen her before. She looked so damned familiar–

I looked and frowned at my hand as it started to burn around my fingertips. Dropping the leaflet, I whined in pain. Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Damningly ow!!!

Soule was staring at me in panic. "What's wrong?"

"My hand, the leaflet burned me! It feels like my hand's on fire!" Soule winced as my voice got louder and louder.

Grabbing my arm, he tugged request-fully for me to follow him to the kitchen. The fire had spread up to my wrist by the time we reached the sink. I cried out in pain as the stabs of water hit my hand.

Soule panicked, and in his panic, shifted into a massive white wolf with light green eyes. He let out a howl of desperation, pain, and worry. Moments later, Kalym and Aten appeared, they yelled at Soule to find Dere. They tried talking to me, but all I could do was cry at the pain of burning fire that felt like lava running through my veins.

Angel appeared then. Her eyes widened as she took us all in. Just then, Dere burst through, growling at Kaylm and Aten to get out his way.

"Take her to the trees," I heard a females voice, as the fire spread up my arms and over my chest, I seized to think, to know who was who and where was where. All I knew was the pain. The fire. The screams. I felt arms lift me then... and the fire hesitated. It wouldn't go near that body. As I was lifted to the one whose arms surrounded me, the fire fought it's way, but the cool skin of the one holding fought back.

I felt the wind then. Then branches wrapping around me. Branches taking me away from those cool arms. I whimpered through my screams. "Dere..."

[Alpha Dere]

Watching my mate in the arms of the tree, I could only wonder how Ragne was still sane. I wouldn't be. Not with that constant worry of what would or could happen.

I'd just been returning when Soule had accidentally slammed into my legs. Instead of cowering as he usually did, much to my surprise, instead, he'd tried to pull me. Grabbed the bottom of my shirt, and tugged with his razor sharp teeth. I'd been halfway making for the scruff of his neck to punish him when I'd heard it. It was a sound that stabbed at my heart with a spoon. Fear had been my next emotion. I didn't want, couldn't loose my mate after searching for nearly two-hundred-and-fifty-years. Because, although werewolves had many mates and could choose one of them, I knew that none would be like Ebony Snow. And Ebony Snow was mine.

Rushing into the kitchen, I remembered growling at two of my pack who were too close to their Alpha female. I understood that she was a mate in pain and that they would do anything to protect and help a mate, but Ebony was mine!

"Take her to the trees," Angel told me as I past her.

Scooping my mate into my arms, I heard a quiet sigh and she moved to try and get closer. On reaching the clearing out of our home in the mountains that was the size of half a foot-ball pitch, I saw that the trees were already reacting. Trying to grab my mate from me. I growled as they got too close. But then Angel's voice told me in a whisper that the trees should be able to save her.

Reluctantly, I let the branches entwine themselves around her, take her from me. I had to fight, not only my wolf, but myself at my want to keep her with me. Keep her in my arms. Never let go.

Her whimpered whisper made my heart ache as she was pulled away. "Dere..."

"Return to what you were doing," I told my pack of wolves and fairies who had come out with me. I didn't hear any movement behind me. But I'd given them the option to leave.

Staring at my mate in the trees, I felt the burning need for revenge, to find out who did this to her. I knew I should ask my pack, but I was too focused on my mate to find out the truth right now. Right now, all I wanted was my mate back in my arms, safe.

I felt a lick on my hand. I didn't want to look away from my mate, I was... afraid, something that I hadn't truly felt until this moment. I was afraid that if I looked away, the trees would make her vanish. I couldn't have that. I couldn't loose that look of annoyance she gave me, that others were too scared to give. I couldn't loose her with her sarcastic comments. I couldn't loose the way her voice calmed my wolf, calmed him to a state that he didn't care if she acted more dominant than him. Some might think that the feelings I felt were too strong, too fast, that I'd only met her yesterday. But how many people claimed love at first sight?

Besides, it would only seem fast to a human. To a werewolf... we would have mated last night. But she wasn't a werewolf. She didn't know until yesterday that the supernatural existed. I knew I had to go slow with my mate because of that, but with her burning death that was approaching, I couldn't find anything in me to stop the want to mark her as mine. The only thing that would stop me would be her. Her voice would stop me. Stop my wolf until she was ready. Because anything else would be rape. Rape of body or mind, either way, it was rape, and that was one thing I would never do.

I wasn't sure how much time passed until the trees lowered a sleeping Ebony back into my arms. But I did know two things. It was dusk. And I loved my mate.

[Laurell Snow]

Grinning widely, I nearly gave in to the temptation to skip from the garage to my room. Once I'd given Ebony the leaflet without her realising that it was me, I'd gone, as I had promised, to see a snake shifter... I grinned as I thought about my time there. I'd let the snake shifter play hard to get when really, he'd been easier to catch than the witch. But then, shifters were more... sexual than most other supernaturals.

Walking into my room of mirror and marble, I grinned as I saw that the apple was still floating in the pool still looking as good and new as it had appeared when the witch had first poisoned it. This apple would never go rotten. Which meant that I had all the time in the world to catch the traitorous witch, Cassandra Ikess.

Thinking again about my step-daughter, I remembered that now Charles was dead – the police had called me earlier to tell me that Charles had died a natural death. Of course, I'd played the distressed widow and soon enough, the conversation was over and I was playing with the snake shifter. It was only now, as the events of the day rolled through my head, I realised that I would soon be the owner of the Snow company.

I grinned again, summoning my magic. Letting it spread throughout the room, once there was enough, I poured it into my pool. "Magic water in my pool, who is the fairest of them all?"

My lip twitched. My eye twitched. I blinked again at the figure before me. She was still ALIVE! That leaflet should have burnt it's way to her heart and head, making them explode! How was she alive?! Could the fairies have countered it? I shook my head as I stared at the apple in the pool. Clenching my jaw, I decided that I'd leave the apple for Cassandra unless my next plan failed. Leaning over my pool with screams of ecstasy and pain echoed around me, I asked another question. "Magic water in my pool, where will the fairest of them all be tomorrow?"

As an image appeared, I knew that this plan of what was due to happen was planned, because if it hadn't been, all I would have seen would be the marble at the bottom of the marble bowl.

Pursing my lips, I knew that I would have to call the witch in again... I grinned, but that shouldn't be too hard. No, it would be easy.

Vote? Comment? Thanks!