Chapter 22 🥀

Amani

*Flashback*

Walking into Sadie and Scott's home for the first time felt a lot different than the foster homes that I was used to. Everything was just warm. Instead of smelling like cigarettes and old gym socks, the aroma of apple pie and Christmas candles filled the house.

"This is my husband, Scott." Sadie told me. God, she was so happy. When she looked at him, I could tell that it was genuine love. It may sound weird but her eyes were.. soft. I don't know how else to describe it.

The first night, I didn't trust Scott at all, I didn't trust any man after what my foster father had done to me. Sadie didn't get offended by it though, she completely understand my struggle.

"I'll sit in the bathroom with you while you bathe if that calms your nerves, I'll lock the door and make sure no one gets in." Sadie told me. Surprisingly, it didn't weird me out. Having Sadie in the bathroom with me while I took a bath was the first time I felt some kind of security.

"Your hair is just so nice and curly." She told me.

She reached into the cabinet and took out a small brown container that read Mama June's CocoaButter moisturizer.

"Do you mind?" She asked, I shook my head no. She put a small amount of the moisturizer in her hand and caressed it through my hair, so gently. It made my curls so shiny.

I miss these moments.

*back to the present*

"Hello..911, my name is Amani Shields and I need to report a kidnapping.. my little brother Tommy White.. he was kidnapped by his father at gun point.. no he's not asking for ransom.. I don't know what the hell, just find him!" Being on the phone with the 911 operator caused so much frustration. Instead of asking important questions like what kind of car did the father drive, what's his cellphone number so we can try tracking him down, she asked why he would want to kidnap his own son.

After about fifteen minutes of going back and forth and technicalities, I finally hung up and quickly received an Amber Alert.

"I'm really sorry this happened." Samir said, rubbing my arm.

"I just don't understand what's wrong with Scott. He had such a good life, an amazing wife, a good job, he seemed like he loved his kids.. why do all this?" I said.

"Sometimes that good life just ain't for everybody and it probably took him a while to feel like that."

"Please don't ever do something like this to me.. if I ever become your wife."

"This is Scott, baby. This is heroine."

"Are you .. friends of Sadie White?" The doctor interrupted, he probably didn't wanna say family since we were Black.

"Yes, I'm her daughter and this is my boyfriend, hows she doing?"

"She's quite shooken up but that's all, the shot just barely hit her harm, it didn't do any real damage, just a little bleeding. You should go in there with her for comfort."

"Of course."  I said.

I'd never seen Sadie look so blank. It's like she was contemplating everything in her life.

"Sadie, they put a amber alert out for Tommy. Scott isn't that smart, he can't be that far." I told her.

"Scott may be an idiot but trust me, Joshua isn't."

"Do you know where Joshua lives?" I asked.

"Yeah, I followed Scott there once a few months back. He lives a couple streets away from the strip club he works.. 557 Gray Street."

"Should we go?" Samir asked me.

"Only if I go with you." Jerome said.

_________________________

Hey y'all , I know this was a short chapter, I'll be updating again between tonight and tomorrow. But what y'all think?

Sorry for any mistakes!