CHAPTER 27

The Grievers started to claw and break apart the Homestead walls. They were trying to get into the wooden building, knowing we were in here. Everyone was quiet and stayed at the far end of the room. Newt kept his arms around me and kept far back with everyone else. He used his hands to cover my ears from the moans and screeches the Grievers were letting out. I clutched Newt's shirt in my fist and buried my face into Newt's chest. The feeling was terrifying. Even the boys here were scared to death.

I talked to Clint earlier about Braydon. He said that he told Jeff to stay upstairs with him so he was safe. Thank god he was. If I died, I don't know what I'd do.....

Then, someone ran out from the back of the Homestead, and infront of us. The person stood there, almost like he couldn't hear the Grievers outside. I looked up and saw that it was Gally. It shocked everyone and I saw that he looked like he's been through hell. His eyes were blood-shot red and were staring at each and everyone of us. His eyes stuck on Thomas for a while, before they switched to me. He glared viciously at me, making me shrink back towards Newt.

"This won't stop.....", he said. "The Grievers will take one a night. They want us dead".

What is he talking about? Has he gone crazy?

"Gally, shut up and come over here! The Grievers, they'll-", Newt was cut off when Gally yelled back at him.

"Shut up Newt! You'll never understand! You used to be smart and understood me! Until Mickey showed up and brainwashed you into love! It sickens me! I remember her! In the Changing,! And you!-", Gally pointed at Thomas."-You helped the Creators! You put us here Thomas!".

"Gally! Stop this nonsense! Th0mas just got here!", Alby said in a whisper but with a shouting tone.

"You don't get it! We can't go back! We have to stay here! It's better we die here, than in the real world!", Gally then turned around and started to pull the wooden boards off of the window. The Grievers were getting closer and closer into the Homestead.

Newt rushed up and tried to stop Gally from tearing the wooden boards apart. I was frozen in my place from what Gally said. Helped the Creators? Was that true about Thomas? It's true that everything was starting to change, but Thomas was just as confused as everyone else around here. And the whole 'it's better we die here' thing was making my head hurt from thinking so much. Was the real world really that terrible?

I then saw Gally throw a piece of board away, but it hit Newt right in the head. He fell to the ground unconscious and blood started to drip down his face. I yelled out his name and ran over, kneeling down beside him and trying to wake him up by shaking his shoulders. He stayed unconscious and blood continued to pour down from a wound on his head. Minho, Thomas and Alby rushed over, trying to pull Gally away from the window, when a Griever used it's claw to slice through the window.

"GALLY!GET AWAY FROM THE WINDOW!", yelled Alby while backing away with Thomas and Minho.

He didn't move, so the Griever grabbed him with one of it's claws and pulled him out the Homestead. I watched this happen while holding up Newt's head on my lap. The Griever then threw Gally behind it's self, and he landed right in it's moist, slimy, gross skin. He was stuck there and the Griever backed away from the window. It then ran off, back to the entrance to the Maze. All the Grievers started to back away from the Homestead, and follow the other Griever.

"What..... the shuck just happened?", Minho said. Everyone looked at each other confused.

Thomas was brave enough to walk over to the door, and crack it open. He looked out for a minute, looked around, then pulled his head back in.

"They...... went back into the Maze....", he stated.

Alby walked to the door and pushed it open. I saw that what Thomas said was true, they all were gone. Maybe what Gally said was right.... one a night. Everyone started to get up and walk out the Homestead. From what I saw, the Grievers had basically wrecked the place. Fires were everywhere and most of the buildings were torn down. It seems that the Homestead stood up better than any other building here.

I looked down at Newt, and saw that the wound from the wood looked not that bad. It just knocked him out, but I couldn't help but feel worried for him. I stroked his dirty blonde hair and wiped away some of the blood that poured down his handsome face. I quickly got up and ran upstairs. I grabbed a flannel and wet it at one of the sinks in the Homestead. I then picked up Newt's head again, and carefully placed the wet flannel on the wound.

"Mickey.....", I looked up and saw Thomas was standing in the doorway." You okay?".

I nodded and looked back down at Newt. The flannel was already becoming red from the blood, but it did stop the wound from bleeding so much. Thomas knelt down beside me and looked down at Newt.

"Is he okay?", he asked.

"Yeah, just unconscious", I answered before looking back up at him. Thomas nodded, before put his hand on my shoulder.

"That was real brave of you before. Running out to save Chuck", he said. I actually forgot about that... until now.

"Oh..... well Newt didn't seem so high about that. It was a stupid idea though...".

"It was, but you did save Chuck's life. I think that's something you should be proud of", Thomas said while smiling a little.

"I guess you could say that......", I said while shrugging my shoulders.

Thomas smiled more and leaned over, hugging me to his chest. I remember what he said when he was in the Slammer. That he trusted me. And now that I think about it, I trust him too. I have some sort of special connection with Thomas. I leaned my head on Thomas's shoulder, and relaxed in his arms. His hug was comforting, just like Newt's.