CHAPTER 19

After the Gathering, Thomas was to be put in the Slammer for a day, before then becoming a Runner. It took a while to get the right decision but it worked out well in the end. But Gally did have a bit of a turn because he didn't get his way, and disappeared somewhere into the Glade. He threatened to kill both Minho and Thomas. But they didn't seem that worried anyway, well maybe Thomas was a little.

I decided to get something more to eat since my stomach hasn't fully healed yet and I was considerably weak. I went to Frypan and saw him chatting with the other Cooks. I asked him for anything that I can eat, and he went off to make me some soup. Everyone in the Glade got back to work and I couldn't find Newt. I wonder what he was feeling about that kiss from earlier. I still couldn't get it out of my head. Just every time I close my eyes or even if I just look at the Homestead, I remember that kiss.

"Hey Mickey, here's yer' soup", Frypan called while putting a plate down on the table. I thanked him and walked over to the Deadheads to eat.

I carefully climbed up a tree and sat down on a stable branch, and started eating. I was supposed to be doing Med-jack work right now, but I just couldn't be bothered at the moment. I also wonder where Minho disappeared to. Surely he didn't go running, since he'd complain about him nearly dying last night.

"Mickey!", I heard someone calling my name. I looked around and saw it was Minho looking for me.

"Yeah?", I called back and he snapped his head towards me.

"There ya' are! I've been looking for you. What are you doing up there?", he asked while walking to the base of the tree and craning his neck up to see me.

"Just wanted to get away from people I guess....", I answered.

"What you don't like us?", Minho joked while smiling.

"No it's not that, just some girl time by myself", I said while putting down the empty bowl beside me.

"Well can you come down? I'm bored from the guys right now", Minho said while putting his hands on his hips.

"Nah I'm good", I teased and turned away from him.

I heard Minho groan and he started to climb up the tree, to where I sat. He plonked himself next to me and sighed, ruffling his spikey hair. He looked tired but he looked worse when he was stuck in the Maze.

"Thank you for saving me....in the Maze", I said while turning to him. He looked at me smiling, before doing his signature move of slinging his arm around my shoulder.

"You would of done the same for me you shank", Minho said. I laughed slightly.

"Yeah right, I'd never be able to carry you around", I replied back and Minho laughed, before ruffling my arm.

"Just be grateful we survived Sweetheart", he said while looking out, over the Glade. I then spotted Newt walking out from the Homestead, and over to the garden area.

"I'm gonna go over to Newt, I need to talk to 'em", I said while jumping down  from the tree and landing perfectly on my feet.

"Alright, I'll see you at Dinner", Minho said and waved at me. I waved back before walking out the Deadlands, leaving my bowl with Minho to clean up.

I walked over to Newt who was standing over the gardens with his arms crossed. I immediately felt my cheeks heat up from the memory of the kiss. I hope I wasn't blushing. I mustered up my strength and walked over to him, standing beside him. He turned his head to me before smiling.

"Hey Mick", he greeted.

"Hey....".

"You feelin' better now?", he asked me. I nodded and cracked a smile at him. He is really good at masking his emotions. Or was it that the kiss didn't really mean anything to him?

"Tomorrow, your goin' to the Med-jacks. I think that job will be more suitable than a Runner don't you think?", Newt asked. I nodded again.

"Hey what's wrong? You sure you're feelin' alright?", Newt said while turning his full body towards me.

"Yeah...just thinking about the Maze. That's all". It wasn't completely a lie. I was thinking about. About the fear and the near-death situation. I'm still confused on how I survived. And I'm sure everyone else is thinking the same thing.

"Oh.... it does kind of scar you huh?", Newt trailed off and started to look depressed.

"Scar?", I repeated. He glanced at me, before looking down at his right leg, the one that was a limp. Newt then quickly looked away from it, before turning around and walking over to the kitchen area. I watched him leave, watching him limp slowly.

What exactly happened to him in the Maze?